VOODOO Build Now The Evolution

gbmoto

Retro Guru
Finally started on a Voodoo frame I bought some time ago.

I think it is an Erzulie, but open to suggestions.

The stopper was that I could not get frame stickers ( can now from Voodoo ) but also I did not like the main Voodoo typeface.

Anyway I got hold of some original artwork files and had a play, sadly it had lost the head badge so I had one of the Voodoo heads made to replace it.
Quality was superb so I had a play with the main down tube sticker.

Did most of it in Photoshop, very pleased with how it came out, though the sticker maker had to do a test cut as some of the lines are so fine.

Once I had these there was no excuse to not get on with the frame.

When purchased it was coated in a very thick coat of black paint, this stripped off fairly well, but the original orange was very tough, like wire brush in an angle grinter tough!!

When I did the same on by 2 year old Pipedream the paint pretty much fell off and there were lines off rust on the tubes, no rust on the Voodoo, very impressed.

Here it is nearly stripped
AVOODOO001.jpg

this is the head tube sticker ( I think these generaly face backwards on the seat tube.
AVOODOO003.jpg

and here is the frame, maybe not every ones taste and I did agonize over doing it standard orange, but I already have a Blue Pig that colour. Sorry about the custom frame painting hanger.
AVOODOO006.jpg

and
AVOODOO005.jpg

Still needs more clearcoat yet.
Have most of the stuff to build it with, but cannot make up my mind.
Probably ceramic mavics, dia-compe V's, Kona seatpost with Charge saddle, Salmon bar/stem painted same as frame, 9 speed shimano and deore triple.
Probably standard forks (which I got off here) but maybe something boingy.
But have nasty 1x9 thoughts and even 1x1.
We shall see. :D

that is a nice paint job .... better than the 'rattle can' job that's currently drying in my garage on my Lava Dome ! what's the secret?

Ta for the comments.

The frame is roughly 17 centre to top.

Yup it's a rattle can job in a vauxhall green, a bit like a Gitane road bike of the 60's.

I just make sure the frame is really clean, use pre paint wipe, then primer, then top coat, doing the underneath of all the tubes first.

Still don't think I have mastered clear coat, especially on a light colour like this.

Ta for the comments chaps.

Got the forks sorted, have bought a few Duke's in the past, very cheap, generally advertised as in need of repair or for spares, every time they have just needed a strip, clean and relube.

I find they work well and are light.

These are the first one's I bought which saw several winters use on the singlespeed, they have a broken pop lok in the right fork, removed it OK but a blank top would not screw in, will have to investigate.

Have reduced the travel to 65mm which, taking into account 15mm sag makes the axlle to crown exactly the same as the rigid Voodoo forks.

14e844c9.jpg

I was going to spray the crown too, but I like the bling of the nickle plating, matches the Manitou's on my Blue Pig too.

Back