1992 Kona Explosif Pro

manderson1977

Dirt Disciple
Had this since knew but has been hidden in the basement for years.

Started buying bits and pieces a while back so that I could get it back to early 90's spec and replace some of the crap I had fitted over the years.

Only thing left to do is fit the NOS Suntour XC Pro MD rear hub and cassette when it arrives from across the pond and a Syncros seatpost (the purple USE is just not doing it for me any more)

Bought a new Stumpjumper a couple of years ago and now wondering why I bothered !

Attachments

• DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3,366
  • DSC00372.jpg
    DSC00372.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 3,366
Very nice! :cool: :cool: I love these Kona's. I've got the gold one (not Pro). It's one of my favorites and I ride it allmost every week! Love the geometry of Kona!

But, chance the pedals! ;)

I just put the DMR pedals on while I dick about getting it set up.

Still have the original Suntour XC Pro Grease Guard pedals which are the dogs danglies.

Also got a pair of Onza HO Titaniums with Sidi Dominators.

Thankfully none of my 90's lycra has survived, wouldn't dare wear that again !

Classy bike :D

Like the suntour on it a lot.

Out of interest what was the difference with the 'pro' model?

P.S. Please sell me your XC Pro pedals. ;)

i have the same frame, if memory serves the "pro" model used dupont imron paint, black with a sort of glitter paint as opposed to the standard model being available in gloss black or gold, and was called "pro" because it had suntour xc pro on it as opposed to shimano 7speed xt.

i bought mine as frame only after it was stripped of it's xc pro, then i built it with m900 xtr. mine is at bob jackons being repainted at the mo, in original finish as it was looking quite tired, can't wait to get it back as i love the ride.

:cool:

Very nice bike. I think changing the seatpost to a Syncros makes it even better!

I am affraid that I wont be getting rid of any of the original gear ever again, so the pedals are not for sale.

I think a couple of pairs are on Ebay at the moment.

I has taken some time and more money than I dare admit to the wife to get the following -

- Velocity stem (lost the original after I replaced it with a shorter cheapo with more rise for my aging back)
- Suntour Microlight bottom bracket (despite the grease guard managed to destroy the original)
- Dia Compe SS7 Brake levers (Lost the original XC Pro units when I changed to Deore V Brakes)
- NOS Dia Compe 987 brakes (never liked the XC Pro units fitted originally, had DX canti's then V Brakes but these are much better)
- NOS Suntour XC Pro MD rear hub and cassette (Destroyed the original, sheared the 11 tooth double sprocket lockring type thing clean of the freehub and had to replace with an STX compact)
- Rear brake cable guide (lost in the V Brake upgrade)

Also replaced all the cables and got some ODI grips from Eaby

I like my Stumpy but I Love my Explosif

The great thing about the Explosif Pro was that nobody bought them so were discounted from £1200 to £850 (I think) so they were a steal !

Make sure you post some pics of the resprayed frame jonnyboy666

Back