My Aluminium O

damo_

Dirt Disciple
Here are a couple of piccies of the bike as is.
A quick wash down this morning reveals it needs new cables, SPDs need a little bit of love and stickers obviously.....

5418718976_f3f53c587d.jpg

5418714750_0056352ebb.jpg

5418723182_7b941227d0.jpg

Its got a lot more chips than i recall, the top tube and underside of the down tube are particularly chipped.

The thumbies were added because the totalled the gear shifters. I had to butcher the brake levers (i remove the flanges the shifters were mounted on because the thumbies clamps interfered) but luckily have new period ST MO92 coming from ebay.

Stickers are on the way from the incredible Mr Gil

More photos to follow, next friday I will get the new cables, shifters and stickers on the bike.

Very nice that Damo and will be even better with new decals :cool: Paint looks far too good to replace. Like the RC30's as well. Was thinking about that look for my 'O' before I decided to go suss.

jimihendrix":2tts25q1 said:
Nice :cool: , be great with the new stickers on, thats a damned ugly saddle though.

Saddle stays!! It looks better in real life, it has a nice patina of age, I think its original but I am not sure.

That definitely needs decals to finish it off. :cool: :cool:

Not keen on the saddle either, but the forks cancel that out, IMO.. :cool: :D

Got the decals, anybody any idea on exactly where they go? Otherwise I am going on my best recollection and where i prefer them.

Damo

What are the options for fitting tube less tyres/disk brakes? I am wondering about a bit of a rebuild this winter involving a respray and the addition of some choice modern hardware (mainly the aforementioned disks and tubeless tyres; other than that the bike is staying hardcore old skool rigid :) )

the pics in the above thread from JediPaddler are the correct places to fit them if you have the same style stickers, if you have the orange Orange stickers(if that makes sense!) then the "orange" logo goes on the downtube and the "aluminium O" goes on the top tube.

:)

Righto slight change of plan here......

I got everything apart yesterday and found all the damage and dirt of 21 years of use.

The frame is very heavily damaged, especially on the drive side chain stay. I am guessing I had the chain come off and have used the front mech to put it on with out stopping.

The pace forks are pitted with rust and the chrome looks pretty tatty.

So I am thinking I am going to get the frame stripped and powder coated. Luckily I have a mate who restores motorbikes and he has some very good contacts for this kind of thing. He knows somebody who can re-chrome the forks and strip and powder coat everything I need. And joy of joys he has a tonne of stuff going out in two weeks so I can 'piggy back' the order so it ought to be pretty affordable.

Now I have some choices:
1 Back to 'original condition'. I can colour match from under the cable guide under the bottom back to get a pretty close match to the right colour.

2 Leave as is, use the decals from Gil to make the bike look ok and live with it for the moment.

3 Go for a bright blue frame, white forks, white stem and bars.

I was planning on going for option 2 until the races I am booked in to ride this summer and autumn and then strip and go for 3 this winter. However now I am thinking about going straight for 3 seeing as there is the chance to get it all pretty sorted pretty quickly.

So what do people think? Oh and as a slight aside most of the races I am in are sponsored by Orange....

Here are the piccies:

P2114598 by Frank Exchange Of Views

P2114597 by Frank Exchange Of Views

P2114596 by Frank Exchange Of Views

P2114595 by Frank Exchange Of Views

P2114593 by Frank Exchange Of Views

P2114592 by Frank Exchange Of Views

Back