Saracen Kili Racer

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Think this is a kili racer, 1992 or 1993.

EStayKili.jpg

Anyway, got it off tibolt_rider (the South West legend!) who had stripped it of all the bits and had the frame forks and the stuck seatpost left.

So, had it in the shed a while and decided to give it a few weeks of penetrating oil, which lives up to the hype. It was one stuck seatpost and I had tried everything, but after the daily topping up and soaking, took it to a local helping hand and he managed to free it relatively easily with some mole grips.

No real progress since, got some parts: DX rear mech, XT 737 cranks (not period but oh so pretty), just need a seatpost (30.2), and front mech, plus some cantis.

Meant to be a budget build so may even whack some spare v brakes on it and upgrade to period when I can afford bits.

You can see there wasnt much of the seatpost to work with so shows what a good job penetrating oil did:

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

Anyway more photos:

EStayKili.jpg

EStay.jpg

Paint is shocking - missing in places and with orange burst in places, which isnt undercoat looks like spilt paint but weird anyway. Will need a powdercoat, and I have thoughts of a non-standard colour that should split opinion!

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

As my current kili is ahead, with great pepporoni forks, am really considering going ahead on these, but getting straight blade forks is obviously hard with the right axle to crown.

Have picked these up which are really nice. Thinking of removing the disc tab and getting powdercoated at same time.

Yes or no? Ahead is so much easier for a cretin like me then threaded.

They are quite similar to segmented saracen forks of circa 1996/7?

PlanetX_Forks_004.jpg

PlanetX_Forks_006.jpg

PlanetX_Forks_003.jpg

PlanetX_Forks_001.jpg

stuflyer":1qg7oqcu said:
Gonna be a nice project that :) Go on then, what's the colour thinking? (and it's deffo a 92)

Either brown: as in the on ones, or the baby blue of the earlier saracens, like kirkbugs here (hope he doesnt mind me using his pic!)

Attachments

• one one brown frame.jpg
    one one brown frame.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4,044
ooh not period or actually authentic, but very very nice. As for ahead..well it came in en mass in the 93 model year for most bikes (almost all of the 93 MY Saracens were specced with it) so it's not out of period, just not original. Do what you want, but it will look ace with those fitted.
I would :D

Cheers stu, did you find a saracen yourself yet?

There's a nice kili flyer on ebay, bit more modern though, guess its 1996 (link in the ebay section).

Hey Comber, not yet looking good for a dyna or two though :) holding out for a 90-93 Saracen. There's a few I'd really like so just holding out for now.

Colour wise I have to say I'd go for the baby blue - but that's just me - the brown (and I speak as someone who ...*whispers* quite likes the look of the On Ones* is still pretty damn fine though.
Either way I am sure you'll do a damn fine job. Liking the look of this project :)

Thanks fella. My first bike was the same as kirkbugs same colour as well, loved it until it got nicked so heading more that way too, even if cant recall a kili in that colour.

Back