Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Aw Dendy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:39 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1692
Location: Exeter
Aw Dendy! It's a bit late to turn with an alternative opinion!

In all seriousness, though, I viewed the XT brakes and sliver chainset as one package, and the black LX brakes and black LX chainset as another

It was only when a couple of guys threw in the alternative of XT brakes and LX chainset that it got considered

I'll probably spray the cages of the pedals at some point and I might just sneak a silver chainset on just out of interest.... :D

But right now, it totally works for me, everything on it is black and silver I think the balance is spot on, aesthetically

On the subject of handling, I'm gonna sort out another set of wheels and tyres and go down some steep stuff! These wheels and tyres look totally mint so I'll keep them for 'special' - Yes, I did scrub the tyres!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1692
Location: Exeter
chrisv40 wrote:
Fantastic build, love these Saracen E-stays. I just missed out on a Kili at the weekend.


I bet another will be along soon!

I see in your Cro-Mega thread you noticed they were appearing everywhere

- I had an Al-Mega BITD

Same thing happened here! All of a sudden loads of Saracen e-stays appearing, not just Kilis, but this very model, in this very colour! Very cool! Lots of note swapping and snooping on the other guy's builds, making sure I wasn't too similar!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aw Dendy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 781
Location: Essex
hydorah wrote:
Aw Dendy! It's a bit late to turn with an alternative opinion!

In all seriousness, though, I viewed the XT brakes and sliver chainset as one package, and the black LX brakes and black LX chainset as another

It was only when a couple of guys threw in the alternative of XT brakes and LX chainset that it got considered

I'll probably spray the cages of the pedals at some point and I might just sneak a silver chainset on just out of interest.... :D

But right now, it totally works for me, everything on it is black and silver I think the balance is spot on, aesthetically

On the subject of handling, I'm gonna sort out another set of wheels and tyres and go down some steep stuff! These wheels and tyres look totally mint so I'll keep them for 'special' - Yes, I did scrub the tyres!


I totally agree with the way you have it aesthetically setup, the balance is "right" and if you did change to a silver chainset you would probably have to introduce more silver elsewhere.. Either way I am nit picking about nothing really cos it looks smart as it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 am
Posts: 9584
Location: Devon
Quote:
All of a sudden loads of Saracen e-stays appearing, not just Kilis, but this very model, in this very colour! Very cool! Lots of note swapping and snooping on the other guy's builds, making sure I wasn't too similar!

I have yours, Dendy's and Drystone_paul to compete with! Its bloody hard work. You all have a bookmark on my internet and I browse daily at them :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1692
Location: Exeter
coomber wrote:
Quote:
All of a sudden loads of Saracen e-stays appearing, not just Kilis, but this very model, in this very colour! Very cool! Lots of note swapping and snooping on the other guy's builds, making sure I wasn't too similar!

I have yours, Dendy's and Drystone_paul to compete with! Its bloody hard work. You all have a bookmark on my internet and I browse daily at them :oops:


Looks like you can't go wrong! We all did something different and ended with cracking looking bikes!

They actually look different too, which is something! I'd love to see them all together at some point

Including yours! Although I know yours is going to be a bit of an epic re-build


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Brainwave!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1692
Location: Exeter
When I was meditating on this bike and envisaging various options several ideas came to me, but didn't get tried

As your bike is being powder coated, you have the perfect opportunity to indulge in some frame coloured parts...

Looking at the frame I was struck by the GT-esque seat tube intersected by top tube, top tube ending a cap

I considered echoing this elsewhere; basically by buying a GT t-bone with the same look and painting it frame colour

You have the perfect opportunity for a complete match - I even mentioned GT stems in my stem want ad, that's how seriously I was considering it

It will set your apart from us lot, if you tried it - and pulled it off!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 pm
Posts: 1313
Location: South Buckinghamshire
Lovely build. Wheels are almost too nice to ride.

Beautifully colour matched to the Curry's sign in the background.

The saddle is a dog though IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brainwave!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:19 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 am
Posts: 9584
Location: Devon
hydorah wrote:
As your bike is being powder coated, you have the perfect opportunity to indulge in some frame coloured parts...

Looking at the frame I was struck by the GT-esque seat tube intersected by top tube, top tube ending a cap

I considered echoing this elsewhere; basically by buying a GT t-bone with the same look and painting it frame colour

You have the perfect opportunity for a complete match - I even mentioned GT stems in my stem want ad, that's how seriously I was considering it

It will set your apart from us lot, if you tried it - and pulled it off!


Yeah was thinking similar. When you say GT t-bone do you mean a GT flip flop stem or a Tioga t bone? Or is it one I am not aware of?

Tioga one here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ight=tbone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Here we go
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1692
Location: Exeter
I meant something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0737309413

I think TBone is just a nickname for the GT stems where the column of the stem is intersected by the extension...

RB member 'ishaw' is very kindly karma-ing me a GT flip flop (which I'd never encountered before), so I'll send you a pic of this when it arrives, if it might suit your build - Not seen it yet


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:57 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 am
Posts: 9584
Location: Devon
Ok cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bills_shack, Cheshire1980, DynaCol, gil_m, Yetifanguy and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group