1994 Specialized S Works FSR - Project Black

jjwood

Retro Guru
Hi All

Here's my rebuild of a '95 S Works FSR.

As a die hard spesh man I thought my first build should be an '94/'95 FSR.

When this one came up on ebay I got carried away and bought it. Would'nt have bought it now with abit more experience of the retro market...

I bought the complete bike from the states and had it shipped to sunny cornwall. When it arrived my purchase was not exactly as described, it had been repainted and had none of the original group. But the forks, stem, seat post and stem were in place, that was something and it ahd a pair of spinergy spox on it as well.

So, what do I do restore or custom. As the previous owner had polished the rear end I decided that custom was the only way available at a affordable cost. So "Project black" was born.

The frame was repainted by Argos cycles who did an outstanding job.

I had a local engineer remake all the bushes in the rear end which was a nightmare.

Then I set about collecting all the pieces to finish the build, in all it has taken me about 18 months to get it to this point. Some people may recognise parts.

I polished the seat pin and am in two minds weather to polish the cranks.

The hardest parts to find were the hugi-specialized wheels, I had a stroke of luck last month when I found a complete DBR for sale on ebay in New York with them on. I emailed the seller and asked him if he would split if the bike did'nt sell, it did'nt so we did a deal.

For those who are unfamilular with "project Black" it is a term used by specialized for the project bikes, Fabian Cancellara rode one to win the paris-roubias and Christian Sauser rode "project black' wheels at last years worlds. Pic below of Cancellara's TT bike

Pics

More pics now I figured out how to add them :)

Attachments

• fsr2.jpg
    fsr2.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 5,618
  • fsr3.jpg
    fsr3.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 5,617
  • fsr4.jpg
    fsr4.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 5,617
  • fsr5.jpg
    fsr5.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 5,617
Spec

Spec.

Frame: 95 Specialized S-Works FSR
Fork: Specialiized/rock shox FSX
Bar: Specialized aluminium
Stem: Specialized Team Titanium
Headset: DiaCompe
Grips: Grip shift
Saddle: Specialized team ti
Seatpost: S works aluminium
Brakes: Avid Tri-Align
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial
Cranks: Specialized
Bottom Bracket: Shimano un92
Pedals: Shiminano
Chain: Shimano xtr
Cassette: Shimano xtr
Rear Derailleur: Shimano xtr
Front Derailleur: Shimano xtr
Shifters: Grip shift x-ray 800
Skewers: Specialized titanium
Hubs: Hugi
Rims: Specialized Z-21 pro
Tires: Specialized

All the hardwork thats gone into this bike has paid off. Great spec and i think the newer decals on the frame look really good. Oustanding jj ! :cool:

pics

Thanks for the comments, here's a few more pics, the sun actual came out down here in Cornwall

Attachments

• fsr 8.jpg
    fsr 8.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 5,591
  • fsr9.jpg
    fsr9.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5,591
Back