my new (to me) muddy fox courier comp! update 26/06/11 page3

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
if you read this thread you'll know why i wanted a muddy fox.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

so after googling "muddy fox" on an image search to find various models to decide what sort of Fox i wanted i clicked on an image that led me to a Gumtree advert by a guy called Chris in Bristol. after a few emails/text messages i turn up at his house at around 12.30 today :D

chris wheeled this little beastie out, i am a little bit paranoid that at some point in it's life it has been stolen but then bearing in mind mine was originally stolen all those years ago i figure it's like this one is coming home so to speak, chris said it was his occasional pub bike now after originally buying it to recover from an injury, so i figure that whatever i do with it will be a bit of a rebirth for it! :D

i handed out £45 for this!!

also on the way back from getting this bike i stopped at Argos Cycles to talk about the P7 frame, i also asked them about the colour on this bike. it's massively faded!! :shock: but there was a patch of perfect paint where sticker has been removed so i pointed this out and said could you match that?! full on neon green!!! :D :D mark (from Argos) then wandered out back to the frame sprayer and then dove into the paint store and pulled out a tin of "house of colour" neon green!! they'd had it in stock for a while(read years!)

anyone know what year this is? was thinking 89? 90?

the paint is the only plan at the mo, i'll probably go with dx on this but we'll see what happens :D

anyway here are some pics! :D

Attachments

• muddy fox original stem.jpg
    muddy fox original stem.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,746
  • the muddy fox paw print.jpg
    the muddy fox paw print.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 6,745
  • tange cro-mo.jpg
    tange cro-mo.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6,746
  • muddy fox courier comp.jpg
    muddy fox courier comp.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 6,746
:cool:

We have a customers MF Courier Comp in our workshop at the minute, as far as I can tell it's all original, drivetrain, bars, stem even the grips & saddle are OE Muddy Fox.

crappy phone pic:
5367899602_5da6e25a0c_z.jpg

Needs a smiley face rear disc.

Or one with a big Muddy Fox paw print in neon pink to strategically clash with the neon green.

looks like mine has a few original bits missing, the bar, tyres and the saddle, but i didn't like the saddle anyway and if i remember correctly the bars sweep back alot which i am not to keen on.

it's a bit lumpy weight wise but i think alot of that is in the tyres as they are real cheapo's and i think there might slime tubes in there aswel.

strip will commence tomorrow :D

I've got a MF Courier Mega frame that I plan to rebuild sometime, looks very much like yours. I know the Comp was a higher spec bike but what was the difference between Mega & Comp in the MF hierarchy.

They must have used a crap paint in those days because mine was a bright yellow under the front derailleur clamp, but the rest of it that had seen daylight had faded to a muddy, mustard yellow that no amount of T-Cutting will improve. :( :(

when talking to mark at argos he said they are all pretty much doomed to fade over the years :( still gonna get it done original though!! :D

i'm not sure of the model hierachy myself,

models i can think of are:-

adventurer, courier, seeker, sourcerer, and then there were mega or comp version aswel on each i think, for example, courier, courier comp and courier mega, but don't quote me on that!

sure there were more names, at this point i don't think the alloy stuff was out though, but when they did come out i think it was Alu Sport and Alu Pro and possibly Alu Team.

It's a 1990.

Mate had one new and then it moved on to another mate, nicely made frames with bad geometry that were critiscised at the time but can be helped out with a shorter stem with a little bit more rise.
Even the 1991's need some help in the same area and the shorter Zoom made a world of difference to the way both my Sorcerer and my mates Seeker rode.
There are copys of the 1900 Katana catalogue on ebay at the moment and these are in it.
Nice bikes and like the Orange Clockwork can handle some better components as IIRC they have a full Tange frame.

Be nice to see it repainted in full on Neon, with some period Deore LX I reckon.

Carl.

Back