Retro shaped bike

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'll start by apologising for posting an Inbred but I'll explain why it's not so out of keeping as first seems.

A bit of background - I've owned a couple of On-Ones (departed Pompino, still have Ti Cross) and while they are decent bikes they have some quite pronounced quirks that make them not quite right. However the chance came to own an original Inbred (i.e. no disc mounts) and bored on a Friday lunchtime at work I went for it.

It was in a bit of a sorry state when I got it, probably never ridden offroad, possibly cleaned only slightly more often and with plenty of scuffs (I had to put a lot of stickers on to hide the worst). It came with a new rigid fork though and with a few bits and pieces in the shed I got it ready for it's first ride (this evening).

Now here's where the retro inspired bit comes in. Take away the decals (and yes, I know the downtube one is upside down!) and it could be a bike from 10 years or more ago - long, low top tube? Check. Wishbone seat stays? Check. Rigid forks? Check. Loads of seatpost? Check. Longish, lowish stem? Check. Flat, narrow bars? Check. Rim brake only? Check.

Of course all this would be irrelevant but for the ride which was great - I can certainly see why Inbreds became popular (although not sure about the new, 'improved' ones). Real shame that the short, rim brake only forks are no longer available as they track brilliantly.

But the best bit? When all was said and done the whole bike cost me £23, makes the ride even sweeter!

Attachments

• Inbred 2.JPG
    Inbred 2.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,932
£23?!?!?!?!?!?

£23!!! £23!!!!!! where the hell can i get a bike like that for £23?!?!?!

At these prices even i could afford to bid on. This could start a bidding war :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I realy fancied an inbred, actually i think i might rephrase that.... I really wanted an inbred, they struck me as really good value for what you got. Although yours is even better value! How did you get it for £23 and can you get any more? :p

JeRkY":2k36oml8 said:
How did you get it for £23 and can you get any more? :p

I think the guy who originally had it may have got it as a cosmetic second due to the inverted decal and then commuted on it quite hard. He sold it on to me at a very reasonable price with a whole host of spares that I wasn't aware of when I agreed to buy (a very pleasant suurprise) so after reallocating them the net cost was the £23. If I can find a similar deal I'll certainly let you know!

It may be worth noting that the frame is tattier than it looks in the photo with lots of scrapes and a few superficial rust spots on the cable guides etc.

Seems that most of the responses are related to the cost, would be interested to hear whether whether you think it is a 'retro in spirit' bike or not

ededwards":2febhth1 said:
Seems that most of the responses are related to the cost, would be interested to hear whether whether you think it is a 'retro in spirit' bike or not

Ed i think it's :cool:

If i had a singlespeed, I'd like to think it would look like that!

Certainly looks retro to me. it has more retro on it than my bikes :LOL:

Back