my old bike pics scanned... Kona/Giant/Diamond Back

konafan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
In chronological order....

My first Kona, 1992 I think, brand new from Evans in Woking, my lovely 19" Hahanna....

konas.jpg

There's a sad tale to this Kilauea, it was bought on monthly payments and got pinched less than 3 months in, not long after this photo, (still gutted about it today!):( can anyone name the year please?

konas004.jpg

A pic of both previous bikes, by now the Hahannas new owner had sprayed the rear triangle purple, and the Kilauea is wearing a ridiculous Farmer John mud only tyre, can't remember the name but it looked and sounded terrifying on tarmac!

konas003.jpg

Me on my 199? cinder cone racing in Surrey around 1995/6

konas006.jpg

konas005.jpg

:LOL: note the period animal velcro watch strap and decent (?) Nike spd shoes

another dodgy racing shot....
nice bike shame about, well everything else actually :LOL:

konas002.jpg

:LOL:

Okay I know this one is post 98 as I moved to Sheffield then, but it's close maybe??
Giant ATX with goldtec long travel rear link and Girvin Chubbys!
On Stanage Edge...it's perfect playground!
konas008.jpg

The only bike missing next is a 1997 Kona Explosif that I bought frame only new old stock from J E James, Sheffield and built up using (regretably) the parts from the Giant. As you can imagine the forks didn't really go with the whippet like Kona, but it was still fun!
No photo :(

Finally....today's steed.
My 1997 Cinder Cone 20"
IMG_2020.jpg

It gets proper use! :cool:
P1000361resized.jpg

Nice :D

The Hahanna is a '93 same as i had but mine was an 18".

The Kilauea looks like a '94.

The racing shots look like either the races at Greyshott or maybe Weavers Down at Liss/Liphook.
I tried racing at Greyshott but soon decided i preferred Bimbling :LOL:
that was my one & only racing experience :oops:

Nice to see old pics, thanks

Ha! thanks forthe reply and clearing up dates!
The first 2 race shots were from memory Surrey Hill near Camberley, the other states Warren Heath but no memory of where that is, but somewhere in the area of where you say, down south.
The first race I entered was on the cinder cone in the pics as above, at Ringwood, the X-Lite Winter Warmers series, got a 3rd place trophy, and a nod from a sponsored guys trainer! To be honest though it really was too much like hard work, and thats before moving up north!!

It didn't last!

:D
stop the press!

I've just bought my dream frame! a 1993 Explosif, so it'll soon be joining this thread!!!
....only took me 16 years to get hold of one! :LOL:

that first pic you dont half look familiar but then I used to do the gorrick surrey hills and sams races so good chance our paths may have crossed, in fact that climb looks mighty familiar... :?

I know the feeling about old konas I think Ive just found a frame Ive been hunting for for the best part of 11 years.... more to come soon... :D

Latest posts

Back