Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: cooooool
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:16 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Italy
hydorah wrote:
Hey Alberto

Welcome

Great way to make an entrance!

That frame is a thing of beauty and you have a good flair for photography

Check out my Manitou Three forks over here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129920&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Your bike is going to look AMAZING

But yeah, what's the situation with the painted rims and your brakes?


Thank you very much! The rims have been protected with some scotch even in the borders!! :D
Beautiful forks yours! I love them! :oops:
But, just a question, your forks seems to have more travel than mine, did you modify something?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:31 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:10 pm
Posts: 921
Location: Hampshire
"do you have brake mount studs and rear mech hanger sorted out"

....He means that the parts of the frame that the brakes join to are missing in the photos
...also the part that the derailleur joins to is missing.

My guess is you have just removed these parts while you are doing work on the frame.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:51 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Italy
raymondluxuryyacht wrote:
"do you have brake mount studs and rear mech hanger sorted out"

....He means that the parts of the frame that the brakes join to are missing in the photos
...also the part that the derailleur joins to is missing.

My guess is you have just removed these parts while you are doing work on the frame.

Oh yes!!! Obviously!! In these pictures the frame was just polished! The parts had been removed previously!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 5169
Location: Cumbria, England.
Alberto, wow what a great frame and project you have. I've never really paid that much attention to the '93 bikes but I will be doing to this build thread.

It's named E-735 because of the Elevated frame and the M735 XT groupset, the same frame was used on the E-900 that the team riders used during 1993.

Here is a shot from the '93 brochure for you:


Attachments:
2011_0116die0036.JPG
2011_0116die0036.JPG [ 167.01 KiB | Viewed 3781 times ]
2011_0116die0034.JPG
2011_0116die0034.JPG [ 128.74 KiB | Viewed 3781 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:16 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Italy
Thank you very much for the infos Sinnett!!
When my father bought this bike directly from the Alpinestars' factory, it was just come back from a test published in a (1993-4?) mtb magazine. The groupset when bought was XTR and the forks were a strage unidentified american (as they said) model.
Unfortunately my father sold the forks in 1994 for a brand new Rock Shox Judy, but the XTR groupset is safe!


Last edited by Alpinestars on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cooooool
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:40 am
Posts: 1691
Location: Exeter
Alpinestars wrote:
hydorah wrote:
Hey Alberto

Welcome

Great way to make an entrance!

That frame is a thing of beauty and you have a good flair for photography

Check out my Manitou Three forks over here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129920&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Your bike is going to look AMAZING

But yeah, what's the situation with the painted rims and your brakes?


Thank you very much! The rims have been protected with some scotch even in the borders!! :D
Beautiful forks yours! I love them! :oops:
But, just a question, your forks seems to have more travel than mine, did you modify something?


Yeah you're right mine ride about an inch higher...

What happens if grab the legs of your forks and fully extend them?

And slacken off the black adjusters (they can be used to preload the forks) Sometimes is they are left screwed down the elastomers become permanently squished

BTW if you undo the blue outer ring (under the black adjusters) you can take out your whole elastomer stack with dismantling the rest of the forks...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: alpinstar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 pm 
Bin Monkey
Bin Monkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 2203
Location: Chesham UK
Hi Alberto

Nice frame i hope mine turns out half as good as the one you have i have the 1992 XTR model and i have a set of Manitou 3's on dibs dependant on pics will be watching your thread for inspiration

was the frame already that shiny if not what did you use?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: alpinstar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:46 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Italy
johnnypie13 wrote:
Hi Alberto

Nice frame i hope mine turns out half as good as the one you have i have the 1992 XTR model and i have a set of Manitou 3's on dibs dependant on pics will be watching your thread for inspiration

was the frame already that shiny if not what did you use?

Hi Johnny! Thanks! Beautiful frame yours! Always nice to see Alpinestars! :oops:
Now, I don't know precisely what kind of treatment they did on my frame, because I didn't do that on my own!
I just said them to polish it, and that's the result!
The frame in 1993 was that shiny, but after years it became opaque and blemished. So I decided to highly polish it and after the stickers to give a coat of transparent paint, so it will maintain the shine over time. :D
The same is for the rims!

Hope to be usefull!

Alberto


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: alpinestars
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:39 pm 
Bin Monkey
Bin Monkey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 2203
Location: Chesham UK
yeah definitely having it clear coated after polishing don't want to have to do it again and again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 pm
Posts: 79
Location: Italy
Hi guys!! Ok, the bike is ready! I couldn't believe that was my bike..!! God, it's a beauty! I'll post some pictures tomorrow!
Good night mates!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackCat, Factory Jackson, jonthefish, Retro junkie, Retro Spud and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group