Raleigh Cobra, it's not that bad honest. Update 2 years on.

spike3

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well I'm not one to do things by halves so having decided that retro MTB were to be my new hobby whilst at university I have just taken delivery of my first retro MTB a rather cheap but I really like it Raleigh Cobra complete with duel tone tyres and chrome rims.

The rims are in great condition with only a little rust on the rear and the tyres still have the knobbles stick things to show there nearly new, the chain is also like new which couple with the virtually unworn brake blocks makes me think that it's basically unused.

Total cost of £30 delivered can't be bad, it even has the reflectors on it still.

All works going to have to take it out for ride the only problem is the 18" frame but we'll see how we get one as I really like the bike.

Can anyone help date it please?
The rims have 01 90 stamped on them so I'm thinking January 1990 maybe?
Frame number is 8476013
Gears are Sachs Huret

Got 2 marin frames in the post and a Townsend coming as well (it was only £15 delivered)

Attachments

• my raleigh.jpg
    my raleigh.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 5,697
Now, look, theres retro and theres retro

This is just a pressed steel retro BSO, it wasnt any good then and certainly shouldnt be here now.

Call it snoberry, elitism, call it what you want but that is just a poor facsimile of what was available at the time, chrome plated steel rims? In anything but tinder dry conditions, those brakes will be shat, even the gear changing is awful. It doesnt even make for a good pub bike as even when sober, the ride will be frightening over 5mph.

Please, sell it quick and invest in something that will give you more smiles per mile, anything in the FS section will do.

*EDIT* I appreciate that you are new here and this is not the best of welcomes to the site but, please check back through the readers wives section , see what we do and have a laugh at how anal we are.

touche'

chinook ;)

i dont have a problem with bikes like this, as long as you ride them knowing the brakes and gears wont work then they can be a blast!

who wants brakes that always slow you down, and gears that always go in. yawn.

hang on a sec, :shock: :D

It's just for riding around on I realise it's no mountain bike and I'm fully aware of bike snobery as a member of modern MTB groups.

Anyway it's old and a bit of fun and cheap what's more to say.

You think this is cheap there's a townsend coming tomorrow :LOL: :roll:

Once I've found exactly what size is best, i'll invest in something better :cool:

Just giving it a quick service at the moment

Don't worry about the negative comments, you'll get a lot of good help and advice from members - including LGF.

You've got a fair mix of bikes there and if you're going to make some cock-ups on your early rebuilds, then it's better to do it on the cheaper bikes. I would guess from your post that you might not be old enough to remember these bikes first time around (sorry if I'm wrong on that but it's the university reference) so having the cheaper ones might not seem so infra dig to you as it does to the more mature member.

You'll also be able to sell them on at a bit of a profit - which you'll definitely need once you start delving into the higher grade stuff.

It's all about having fun, but beware - it's addictive. :) :) :) :) :)

P.S. Where's the Readers Wives section - I thought I was on the wrong web site for a moment, what with that and anal all in the same sentence. ;) ;) ;)

Yep the oldest bike i can rember is um 2000 ish I think it was a saracen full suspension thing that was a lead weight.

I Bought the old bikes for three reasons:
1. I like messing around and restoring old things
2. As a student I'm fairly broke
3. As a student bike theft is not unheared off as they are stored in a comunal bike shed.

As long as it's old skool and you enjoy riding it the that's all that matters. It is at the entry end so you know it has limitations but it is a bike....2 wheels, pedals and it goes and if it works for you and puts a smile on ya mush then why not

Don't worry about the elitist snobbery that happens a lot in here.... Even the most up themselves label snobs can be very helpfull

Back