Orange Clockwork 1991

Cat With No Tail

Dirt Disciple
My first ever retro project.

Bought off ebay for £150. No idea if that's good or not, it seems grand to me. Going to mainly be used for commuter duties I'm afraid.

Sold as a 1992 but I have no idea if that's correct. If anyone would care to enlighten me, or tell me how I can find out, that would be superb.

Paintjob has seen better days but there are no flakes bubbles or cracks in the frame.

Current spec:
19" Orange Clockwork Frame
Deore LX Hubs on Mavic 231 rims
Deore LX Chainset
Deore LX Front and Rear Mech
Deore V-Brakes with XT Levers
Ritchey Bars

The following upgrades are on the way as we speak:
XT Hubs on Mavic 281 Rims
Raceface Next SL Carbon Bars (Modern part, but I had some laying around off an old XC race build and it's a good way to shave some weight).
Poshbikes Nitrile Foam Grips
Ragley Cheeky Saddle (because it's what I use on everything else)

Frame will be stripped back and re-sprayed (maybe black) when I get round to it.

DSCF1440.jpg

DSCF1441.jpg

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1443.jpg

DSCF1448.jpg

DSCF1449.jpg

DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1458.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1461.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

Welcome along!......that's a perfect start in these parts......£150 is about right and you have one of the top three frames ever made in the uk in my view.......it's certainly one of the most iconic colour schemes, don't ever paint it black......ever!...... ;)......I would go back to the original stem, saddle and cantis too but it's your choice......enjoy the bike!.....

Point taken about the paintwork :D Will leave it to the pros. There is a paintshop down the road from us here, might see what he can do with it.

Original stem is going back on as soon as the new grips arrive (old ones will need to be cut off).

No idea where the original saddle is. The one on there is the one its come with and I'm not a fan. I find the cheekys very comfy and they are what I use on all my other bikes.

As for Cantis, I'm not sure. I'll look into it, but I just want whichever ones are the most powerful, I'm a big chap and need all the help I can get when it comes to slowing down :LOL:

Unless the paint's so bad that it's going to rust to death, I'd leave it as it is.

Nice bike :cool: I'd defo leave the paint as is if it were mine. Quite rare decals as well so I'd probably leave those too.

On the ebay thread I dated it at around 89/90 and stand by that. If you get the serial number from the bb shell we should be able to work it out. ;)

Very nice bike, You should enjoy it. I got rid of my clockwork before it got built. Yet I miss it.. :LOL:

Ahh, there you are CWNT ;)

That is a very nice bit of kit.

Paint & decals should be left alone if rare/in good nick (Gil_m on here has a lot of decals on file & does excellent work)

Give her a good strip down and clean

Polish up the shiny bits

Enjoy

With regards to paint / decals etc, I had a PM from sinnerman earlier who has very kindly put me onto the firm who did his Clockwork for him. Seems they can do an EXACT reproduction of the original paintwork and decals. Which sounds like a plan to me :D

Frame number APPEARS to be: A60 9A 1200

That sound about right?

Sinnerman's Clockwork is a work of art now, beautiful. I fancy using the same chaps to do a resto but it'll be a tatty frame in the wrong colour. I'd get to work on yours with T-Cut and see how it scrubs up.

Back