MS Racing ProCompXT 1989

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Pics now attached.

I picked up an old bike on Gumtree yesterday for £5 - spares or repair, the owner said that he had been quoted £40 by his LBS to get it roadworthy and that was too much for him.

The ad didn't say the make of bike but it looked like a decent enough bike with old Exage 400/500LX, that had paintwork/decals a bit similar to Alpinestars, but I'd never heard of the make MS Racing.

Did some research last night on this site and found that it's got a bit of history about it and must be a 1989, probably originally kitted out with XT equipment. It looks the same one as in the MBUK magazine on this thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116406

The bike is missing a couple of decals or they've faded badly, but you can still see where they were, and it looks as if there's a new stem.

Anyway, that leaves me with a problem as I don't really have the time to do anything with it this year as I've got at least four other bikes to get sorted, as well as getting some riding in when work is quiet. My dilemma is whether I save it as a winter project for next year and try to do a really good restoration on it or sell it to someone who will probably make a better job than I can, and appreciate its history a bit more.

It's out in the garden at the moment in the rain so I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them up.

P.S. just had a text from the seller saying he forgot to say that he had another old bike (with no brakes) that I can have for free if I collect.

Can lightning strike twice?? :D :D :D

Attachments

• MSRacing2.JPG
    MSRacing2.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,278
  • MSRacing3.JPG
    MSRacing3.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,277
  • MSRacing4.JPG
    MSRacing4.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,278
  • MSRacing1.JPG
    MSRacing1.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,278
I really am excited for you on what the freebie is going to be.

£5!!! This should be another retrobike bargain me thinks. Good work :cool:

coomber":33k07d8z said:
I really am excited for you on what the freebie is going to be.

£5!!! This should be another retrobike bargain me thinks. Good work :cool:

hmm you've got me wondering now ade

Lightning doesn't strike twice :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops:

The freebie is a ladies' hardtail mtb BSO with RST suspension, but one in good condition apart from brake/gear levers and a few spokes. I'll source the parts from my shed and give it to someone for a solid commuter/towpath bike.

Pics of the MS now attached to the first post.

I've thought this through and it will probably be a good long term project that will take time and money so not going to rush it for this year.

nice bike m8
like that a lot
rare as you say , scarce is maybe a better term

Latest posts

Back