Carerra Krakatoa.

XCDave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Wrote this build up a while ago, but never actually put cables or chain on it and now have had to strip and sell it. Thought I’d bung it on anyway as there was something about it I like, and I think, not wanting to blow my own trumpet or anything, that I’d almost polished a turd.

------------------

Got this frame free off Brocklanders – he even hand delivered it! Many thanks indeed.
The plan is to keep an eye out for a complete British Eagle Zigzag (see here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112243), strip all the parts off it when I find one, put them on here and then give this bike to my father in law (all the parts are the same configuration). In the meantime though, I thought I’d build it up with all the bits I’ve been collecting ready for the Zigzag. The pedals are only for posing, as I much prefer DMR V8s for riding. The only non-period bits are the grips, saddle and V8s when they’re on. It’s affectionally nicknamed The Careering Krakaddict. I wanted an early 90’s mid-level build with thumbshifters rather than STIs, and I think it’s turned out quite nice.

Frame & fork: Carrera Krakatoa.
Headset: unbranded, got a Shimano Deore DX M650 in readiness.
Stem: Kalloy Uno, 135mm, 10 degree, silver.
Handlebar: Kalloy Uno, silver.
Grips: Lizard Skins Charger, yellow.

Brakes: Shimano Deore DX M650.
Brake levers: Shimano Deore DX MT63.

Shifters: Shimano Deore DX MT62.
Front derailleur: Shimano Deore DX M650.
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore DX M650.
Cassette: Shimano HG70.
Chain: Sram PC870.
Chainset: Shimano Deore DX MT60.
Bottom bracket: Shimano UN51.
Pedals and straps: Shimano Deore DX M650.

Hub skewers: Shimano Deore DX M650.
Rims: Wolber AT20.
Hubs: Shimano Deore DX M650.
Tyres: Trek Cliff Hanger/Cliff Climber 1.95.

Saddle: Titec Berserkr.
Seatpost: Kalloy Uno, silver.
Seatpost binder: home bodge.

Attachments

• Krak.jpg
    Krak.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,239
You have almost managed to polish a [enter working class type expletive of your choice]......

Nice dx stuff there :cool:

If you'd seen it when I got it the transformation would be amazing. Very good job bringing a tired old bike back to life. :cool:

At one point werent these made by Saracen for Halfords?

You could get one in 531 and with M700 XT too - hardly turd polishing

I still have a very big version of one of these - I'm ashamed to say (and note the quality brand name) the Spinner forks were sold on along with another project.

Back