1991 Funk Pro Comp **Final, Final Pics on Pg. 9**

ez054098

Senior Retro Guru
UPDATE: I believe this is a 1991 model. The SN contains a 91.

This is my first build thread. I have three bikes to build, a 1991 Funk Pro Comp, a 1990 Klein Attitude Dolomite and a Dean Ti road bike. Most likely in that order.

Background:
Why a Funk? Back in the 90s I couldn't afford a Funk, only a pair of his rigid forks for my Mountain Klein. However, the first ride I went on after installing them, they bent at the steerer tube/crown. How did I obtain the bike? eBay of course.

The Build
I am going to use parts that are and aren't period specific. The reason is I tend to have certain component preferences. For example, I will use new Paul component brake levers. I will also stick to the colors black and silver for the components.

Parts FINAL

Stem: NOS A-TAC 150mm 10 degree rise - Silver
Bars: NOS Answer Hyperlite - Silver
Shifters: NOS Deore XT 7 speed thumb
Headset: Fisher Evo
Grips: Syncros lockon

Wheels: NOS Nuke Proof Carbon hubs laced with Campy Atek rims - silver
Skewers: NOS Ringle Cam Twist- black
Tires: Front: Dart, Rear: Smokes (thanks Mike H!)

Cranks: Cook Bros 176mm - Black w/ Specialized silver chainrings
Front Derailleur - NOS Deore XT m735
Rear Derailleur - NOS Deore XT m735
BB: FUJITA sealed
Pedals: Grafton - Silver

Seatpost: Ringle Moby - silver
Bottle cage: NOS Ringle - silver
Saddle: Flite Vanadium
Brakes: Paul Stoplights - silver
Brake levers: Paul cantilever - silver and black
IMG_3586.JPG

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 9,302
Very nice frame and fork! It's always nice to build the bike that you couldn't afford back in the days. Do you have most of the parts or is there a lot of Ebay time coming?

very very lovely indeed. Looks a big'un.

I always lusted after a Funk in the early 90's, but always way out of reach, and pretty much some of the nicest rigid forks from that era too..... yummy. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Looking forward to the build on this one.

Rio":1g9q65oy said:
Very nice frame and fork! It's always nice to build the bike that you couldn't afford back in the days. Do you have most of the parts or is there a lot of Ebay time coming?

Thanks. There are some scuffs on the non drive side. Pretty minor. I have most of the parts already. Though, I will probably change my mind a couple of times.

Though, I will probably change my mind a couple of times.

I think I know what you mean. Actually, I think a lot of guys who like to build bikes know what you mean :LOL:

Looking forward to see more pics of your build!

I love the color of that frame! That's going to look great when it's finished. Hopefully I can finish mine soon. :roll:

mfh126":6921fgvd said:
I love the color of that frame! That's going to look great when it's finished. Hopefully I can finish mine soon. :roll:

I had a Mountain Klein that was the same color back in the good old days. Ah, the good old days when mountain bikes and their components had character...

i believe in fixies":2vlyzkhr said:
So that's where this one ended up:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=#949850

It's a cracking looking frame and fork, looking forward to seeing it entered in BOTM when it's finished.

Yeah, sorry. Believe me, it has happened to me way too often. Finally, I was on the "winning" end. The seller said he would give me the same chance as everyone else. I got lucky with the F5 button.

I will treat it right.

P.S. There was a Klein Adroit Gator Fade listed at the same time. Even though I had purchased a frame from this seller before, I lost to a side offer.

Back