Fisher CR-7

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
This one started as a punt on e-bay - if it went cheap it would be a useful donor bike for parts....

3 weeks later and I find myself driving into north london to pick it up having done some reading on CR-7s and getting a liking for them. I had a chat with the seller who was a really nice bloke from Canada, where he had bought the bike in the early 90's direct from Fisher via a shop in Ottawa called Bicycle Revival. Its got a cool chromed rear end :cool:

Thing is now I think that it should be kept together - it's totally original apart from the rear rim, saddle, bars and tyres. The forks were fitted by the shop and the seller is getting the originals brought over from Canada foc :D

All the components are in really good nick - no corrosion anywhere and the brakes have a set of the scott pads and the sugino cranks are superbe. :D all in all a bargain for £60 quid.

I have got a set of seals/bushes for the RS-1s so should be set for a nice build BUT as advertised he frame is cracked. :cry:

As it happens two pretty bad ones as well - one on the RHS running from the top the other on the LHS up from the bottom. I think these are 7000 series aluminium - can this be weld repaired? or am I better off trying to find a donor front triangle? There must be some experience out there - I think that Al-Mega's have a similar issue:?:

Anyhow here's some pics, have posted in the Reader MTBs section as I'm determined that it should remain a survivor any advice much appreciated :D

rimg1692.jpg

rimg1697.jpg

rimg1695.jpg

stumpjumper1990":l51izj9q said:
nevadasmith":l51izj9q said:
stumpjumper1990":l51izj9q said:
OOOH, nice one! :cool: :cool:

But, was it you who bought the seals/bushes kit for the RS-1 of eBay this sunday?? ;)

yep :D

Well, I'm glad it is going to be used on another Fisher! :LOL: ;) :LOL:

Were you bidding too? Are you putting RS1s on your Mt Tam?

nevadasmith":xy5ph46c said:
Were you bidding too? Are you putting RS1s on your Mt Tam?

Yep! My Mt Tam is from 1991. It was the first serial production bike with a suspension fork; the RS1.
I have 2 RS1's but could use a new seal-kit. I almost have alle the components collected (nearly all NOS) and now have to respray the frame. Also have the decals from Gil-m! Can't wait to put it together....
I even have some NOS Fisher tires!

Attachments

• 3510148256_820536860e_o.jpg
    3510148256_820536860e_o.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 2,431
Cool mt tam - is that the last year they were made? You'll get to put 2 finger brake levers on yours! ;)

Do you have the rest of the 1991 catalogue - looking at the decals that would date my cr7 to that year - the down tube decal is the same.

Will reserve all other questions to your build thread - can't wait to see it!

cant see your cr7 pics from here

glad the rs-1 seal kit gonna get used (was bidding but missed the end)
out of interest are they the same as the mag series seals
i need a set for my rs-1's

nevadasmith":4yvsk0f5 said:
Do you have the rest of the 1991 catalogue - looking at the decals that would date my cr7 to that year - the down tube decal is the same.

No sorry, I only have this page from the catalogue!

Will start a thread of the build soon!

mikee":3r2ucb0y said:
cant see your cr7 pics from here

glad the rs-1 seal kit gonna get used (was bidding but missed the end)
out of interest are they the same as the mag series seals
i need a set for my rs-1's

I don't know, when they arrive I'll post up some pics And details in the readers kit section. I am pretty sure that they will be standard parts - can't see the level of investment available at the time streching to bespoke seals so maybe we can find a supplier.

Back