Orange Clockwork (94) - Finished at last

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Finally got round to refinishing this little beauty for my wife, who doesn't ride, and doesn't appreciate retro bikes - but hey, I enjoyed it.

It started life (for me) as a purchase here on the forum, and I then set about buying the forks and other bits and bobs to personalise it and bring it back to as close to its former glory as I could (new decals, a couple of small areas to touch up). Mechanically and physically it was sound when I got it, but if you are going to do a job, best off doing it properly.

Aside from re-acquainting myself with cantis, and the fiddly pace rocker, I've enjoyed putting this one together, and even built my first wheels in the process.

Anyhow, here is the spec and some pics:

Frame: Orange Clockwork (14 inch) from way back in 1994

Fork: Pace RC36 MXC. Fully refurbed and with added Ti Stage 2 upgrade kit

Headset: FSA Orbit
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Pace/Renthal Sub 130
Grips: Mushroom
Barends: X-Lite

Brakes: XT M737 cantis
Brake Pads: XT (pad and holder style)
Brake Cables: XT
Cantilever cable hangers: Pace rocker and Shimano
Brake Levers: XT M737

Shifters: XT M737
Front Derailleur: XT M737
Rear Derailleur: XT M737 with purple SRP bolts and purple alloy jockeys
Derailleur Cables: XT
Cassette: XT
Chain: XT
Cranks: XT M737
Crank Bolts: SRP in purple
Chainrings: Shimano IG
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Deore XT
Pedals: Deore XT

Hub Skewers: Control Tech in purple
Rims: Mavic 230 TIB SBP
Hubs: XT M737
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Specialized Cannibal
Tubes: Present

Saddle: Bontrager Ti
Seatpost: Syncros
Seatpost Binder: Orange

Weight: Not heavy at all

Attachments

• clockwork-pace-cantis.JPG
    clockwork-pace-cantis.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 5,645
  • clockwork-pace2.JPG
    clockwork-pace2.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 5,638
  • clockwork-pace.JPG
    clockwork-pace.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 5,645
  • clockwork-full.JPG
    clockwork-full.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 5,645
And some more pictures

Attachments

• clockwork-controls.JPG
    clockwork-controls.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 5,632
  • clockwork-drive.JPG
    clockwork-drive.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 5,632
  • clockwork-rear.JPG
    clockwork-rear.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 5,632
  • clockwork-rear-mech.JPG
    clockwork-rear-mech.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 5,632
I can't even begin to tell you how much I love that bike!

The Clockwork was one of the first 'proper' mountain bikes I remember my friend having when I was younger, and I had my sights set on buying it from him when he'd finished with it, only for him to go and bend it courtesy of an errant tree stump and a big hard rock, the git :shock:

I've wanted one just like yours for years now, but I've never got around to getting myself one. I've got a C-16R singlespeed at the moment. If you EVER decide to part with it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!

:cool:
I dont much the like the brakes on the back of the fork though,they seem to be in the way of all the mud and crud :? I turned mine around on my pro class :oops: :LOL:

I really like that but I have two commenst regarding finishing. Firstly I think that either CT stem and post or Syncros stem and post rather than one of each, probably just me, and finally that stem is too long for such a small frame, steering is likely to be improved greatly by fitting a shorter stem.

Other than that I really like it.

development_cycle":1m0do62c said:
I really like that but I have two commenst regarding finishing. Firstly I think that either CT stem and post or Syncros stem and post rather than one of each, probably just me, and finally that stem is too long for such a small frame, steering is likely to be improved greatly by fitting a shorter stem.

Other than that I really like it.
I agree on both counts. Have been looking for a shorter 1 inch syncros stem for ages and simply can't find one in the ahead variety. I'd settle for controltech back and front too, but have had the same problem so had to settle on these for now. Still hoping to find an appropriate matching pair in the future.

Barneyballbags":16i0la2z said:
I've wanted one just like yours for years now, but I've never got around to getting myself one. I've got a C-16R singlespeed at the moment. If you EVER decide to part with it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know!
Thanks for the positive comments. If truth be told, I wish it was a little bit taller...... as I'm really pleased with it and it is way too small for me. If my wife decided never to rid it (and that is indeed possible) I'll keep you in mind!

Ian

Back