199? Carrera, Can you make a good SS bike out of anything???

JediPaddler

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My brother wanted a cheap and cheerful singlespeed for the commute to work. We picked up an old Carrera off Ebay at a bargain price with a few bits missing.

B6uFMVwmkKGrHqUOKjcEycuPoWWBMyVKNqd_12.jpg

Not being terribly proud of the Carrera brand, the decals were removed using a hair dryer and a credit card as a scraper. The frame was then T-cut.

It needed a bottom bracket, I had a spare one knocking around my spares box. also needed a headset again ebay purchase, which was also the source for some cranks and chainrings.

Also added a Fred Salmon seatpost, bars and stem.

DSC03878.jpg

I have managed to fit the chain without a tensioner following a ghetto conversion with some plumbers pipe and a sprocket I had in the spares box. Its a bit tight but time will tell if its too tight!! :?

DSC03879.jpg

Just needs a saddle now, some grips (have some Fred Salmon clear ones) and some custom decals. Not sure about the stem though. May be a bit too chunky.

All told it has cost about £70!! What do you think? Can you make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?? Does the stem stay or go? What saddle would suit?? (colour and type?)

DSC03877a.jpg

I think that looks great, especially for £70!

Proper bike shaped (if you know what I mean) - maybe not featherlight but the colour scheme works and it looks pretty quick when standing still!

A set of straight rigid forks like an F7 and that would be :cool:

I haven't got a ghetto tensioning method, it was pure luck that the chainstay length was about right :cool: although I'm thinking about adding a half link as it may be too tight. :?

Back