Anlen Sage // Karma frame and fork

Jamis Diablo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I picked this up this week when I was looking for parts.
It is a Anlen Sage, the previous owner didn't know exactly what year.
The serialnumber says 8912, so it could be '89, and according to him (and the parts) that is possible.
But as the frame is aluminium I'm confused.

The frame is 7005 aluminium (custom design it says) with a strange kind of powdercoat/lacquer, what feels like a golf ball.
The frame is pretty light and has some nice details.
I don't know what to think of it, it is not love at first sight, but it is kind of strange, what I like.

Only thing I can find on the net is that Anlen is a Taiwanese company which bought Gary Fisher in 1991 and owned it for two years before Trek bought it.
Does anyone know more about this company or this model?

p4pb5944144.jpg

p4pb5944141.jpg

p4pb5944137.jpg

p4pb5944142.jpg

Cr-mo Anlen Invert equiped in Suntour X-1 was my first true MTB It was in 93.... Seler told me, that Anlen is brand from Italy People who create this brand had to be an Gary Fishers agents in Europe, but they only takes few bikes and copy their geometry... Is it a truth? I don't know...
The truth is my Anlen had a lot of GF parts - I don't remember well, for sure stem, bar, tyres...

You're having there STIs and Deore DX mechs, so I would say 90, maybe 91

Thanks for your info, I think it was Taiwanese, this is what Fisherbikes.com says:

Fisher sold his company in 1991 to Taiwan's Anlen, where it tumbled head-over-handlebars for the next two years. "I was basically a puppet president," Fisher says of his time with Anlen. Out of the decision-making loop, Fisher felt at odds with the management. "It was nuts. A lot of stuff went on unbeknownst to me." Fisher does not hide his disappointment with the events at Anlen, "It was totally frustrating watching something we built for all those years just get crushed in a lot of ways."

After two excruciating years with Anlen, Trek, the well-established American bicycle manufacturer located in Waterloo, Wisconsin, came to the rescue and bought the struggling company. Trek brought to the table an established nuts-and-bolts company with exacting manufacturing standards, while Fisher brought his groundbreaking designs, creativity and name. It was a match made in heaven.

Did yours have the same strange lacquer?

No, my, and other 2 cr-mo's I saw were having normal, smooth lacker Anythink like golf ball....

BTW thanx for info about Anlen - good to know after Years :)

skolioza":1wowrlg3 said:
BTW thanx for info about Anlen - good to know after Years :)

Czech Republic market was flooded in early 90's by Anlen brand so I always thought these bikes were from Czech based company. Good to know as well.

A local shop to me sold a handfull of Anlen MTB's back in 91ish era. A friend had one, it had Fisher branded parts. It was alloy framed & had an odd mottled paint finish. Iirc it was a darker colour to the bike in the pic.

Anlen Sage MTB

Dear All,

I found this old message. Just in case anyone is interested. I still own one of these Anlen sage MTB in the colors indicated in the pictures in this session. I offer to send it for delivery costs.

Regards

Andreas

Back