1996 Cannondale Super V2000 'Neo Retro' build

old_banger

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All,

A good buddy has gotten a 1996 Cannondale Super V2000 Frame, fork and stem in original polished finish recently and suggested we do a 'Neo Retro' build for a fun bike. The frame could do with a nice polish and some decals change (especially the one on the head tube :cool: ) and all is well. We've decided to install a really mint set of CODA Magic crank set we've gotten locally here instead of the Coda 701M cranks that were supposed to be on this frame BITD. The outcome may or may not be to everyone's taste in a matter of opinion ,but oh well...we just wana have fun. The frame has been sitting around for almost a week and we'll update the progress as it goes.....

v2000.jpg

Some parts for the build, including a pair of Gripshift SRT800 X-Ray shifters that were specced originally on the V2000 & some other modern stuffs...nothing too fanciful ;)
v20001.jpg

v20002.jpg

Work In Progress ...
v20004.jpg

v20003.jpg

Will update soon when the stuffs are installed ! :D

Regards

needs skinwalls or spoke wheels

heres one i built on a modern/retro theme

mikee":5os0ecut said:
needs skinwalls or spoke wheels

heres one i built on a modern/retro theme

Nice bike! I love the red color ones alot. Used to have a 1996 V3000 in red too. My buddy likes the Spinergy on his 'Dale though, and those amber wall Mythos Kevlar/aramid ones (front & rear specific ones) are difficult to get around here now so..... :cry:

Here's my current Super V in XL size (took a long while to find). Not a Retro though (hope the 'Retro' Police don't mind) :LOL:

vsl.jpg

Fattyboombatty":36k2icne said:
I've always owned Cannondales and love em! Never even ridden a super v though! How do they ride/handle?????

Super Vs are fun to ride! Not for weight weenies though.The mid to late 90s F-series are nice too....in my humble opinion :D

I guess if you're keen, Most V models are a safe bet for a fun ride. Maybe you can steer clear of the ones with the rear bonded aluminum swing arm like the one I have (the yellow one above). Don't know if it's mere coincidence but it seems that cracks on the models with the bonded aluminum swing arms were pretty common ? Maybe the more experienced forumers would be able to chip in with their views & opinions.

Cheers & regards ;)

Some updates on the progress ...

The CODA cranks finally returned to us from the cnc shop after the measurements/ specs taken
coda1a.jpg

The cranks were installed and necessary adjustments made to the shifters & derailleurs

v2000a.jpg

v20009.jpg

The Spinergy wheelset may be swapped out for a set of black Mavic 717 laced with black DT spokes to a set of Chris King Classic hub set & we may decide to replace the Magura HS33 with V brakes. Will post updates on further progress.

Cheers :)

that will look so smart with the spoked wheels on it

what were the "cnc shop" doing with the cranks ,if you dont mind me asking

mikee":1odv1gky said:
that will look so smart with the spoked wheels on it

what were the "cnc shop" doing with the cranks ,if you dont mind me asking

Hi Mikee :D

Yes, we will be installing the Mavic rims and see how my buddy likes 'em.

As for the CODA magic cranks, we sorta let our friend who is in this industry have the Cranks, chainring & bottom bracket measurements & specs 'blueprinted' so that in case we do need replacements urgently, we can have him produce any spares for us should we need them from the Crank arms right down to the chainrings & BB/spindle (as a last resort). Not much CODA Magic aficionados around here and definitely very little replacement parts floating around the market here :D

polished

Very Nice..!! Keep the wheels like that, forget the spokes :cool: and sell me the crankset ;) keep up the good work......
here`s mine...( I mean THE WHEELS)
god.jpg

Back