Specialized Hardrock '87

stu_mcp

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,
I thought I'd clean this one up and post some pics. The last snaps of it were rather poor and in it's commuter guise....
I'm guessing at the year being an '87 - it's certainly older than '88 as my first proper MTB was the Rockhopper from '88 and this predates it for sure. If anyone has some conclusive proof, it'd be great to get a definate year for it.
The frame, fork, h'set, stem, f'mech and seatpost are all original. The other parts have come from various bikes I've owned over the years. I really need to get a decent chainset on it and swap the saddle for an original Turbo or similar, but we're moving overseas and it can't come too!

Frame - Specialized Hardrock '87 Custom Gauge Cr-Mo
Fork - Specialized Hardrock '87
Headset - Seiki 1"
Stem - Specialized Alloy
Handlebar - Marin T6 Alloy
Grips - 1 * Onza Ules, 1 * Profile
Brakes - XTR M900 Front, Shimano BMT61 UBrake Rear
Cantilever cable hangers - Shimano Straddles
Brake Levers - XTR M900 STI
Shifters - XTR M900 STI
Front Derailleur - Suntour XC sport 7000
Rear Derailleur - XTR M900
Cassette - HG90 8Spd
Chain - Sedis
Cranks - Alivio :oops: :oops:
Chainrings - ahem...
Bottom Bracket - UN70
Pedals - Welgo Flats
Quick Releases - XTR M900 R, XT F
Rims - Spinergy Spox 24H
Hubs - Spinergy Spox Carbon
Tyres - Ground Control 1.95 (Frnt Amber, Rear Blackwall)
Saddle - Trek
Seatpost - Alloy Strong
Weight - Less than 27lbs, more than 24lbs

Attachments

• 87_SHC_01 (Small).jpg
    87_SHC_01 (Small).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,801
  • 87_SHC_02 (Small).jpg
    87_SHC_02 (Small).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,798
  • 87_SHC_03 (Small).jpg
    87_SHC_03 (Small).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,798
You could be right about it being an 87 bike although I think the spec ran through to 88 as well. That brings back a lot of memories. In 1987 when I was 16 I almost bought a red Hardrock with U-brakes with the money I'd saved from my part time job. Unfortunately I didn't get it as I also started doing triathlons that year and ended up spending the money on a lovely Holdsworth Professional with full Campag groupset.

The memories of the early bikes are the reason I've got this one - my first MTB was an '88 Rockhopper in blue with Exage mountain. I got that bike early in '89 from Highland Cycles - good price but a 21" frame which was way too big.
This '87 frame was left in the workshop after the previous owner decided to move onto something more modern - I grabbed it and built it up with the bits I had in my parts box...

I just found another one for sale here: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/385490077.html
It looks pretty much like it's got the original spec on it. I also did a bit of poking about on First Flight and the 1st year Suntour had the Sport 7000 was '87. Given the graphics on the '88 models were more flambouyant, I'm pretty sure now that it's a '87 frame.

I remember the 88 Hardrock very well, it nearly always came in red with a full quota of low-end Suntour kit. Heavy old beast if I recall.

well i always thought it was the '87 hardrock but having found out the green and pink following year's stumpy was an '89 not an '88, i figure your's is in fact an '87.

I've got the original catalogue for this year if you fancy a scan of your bike.

The stumpy that year was poss the nicest looking ever. :D

Lovely bike by the way. Always loved taht green.

Back