Bottom Bracket - Shimano UN92
Pedals - ummm Pink DX SPDs
Quick Releases - X-lite Cam Lock Blue S/S
Rims - Mavic 238
Hubs - XTR M900
Tyres - Onza Porc (repro)
Saddle - Flite Ti Kevlar
Seatpost - Tioga

Will probably change a few parts and update.

Attachments

• torus2sp.jpg
    torus2sp.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3,419
Nice looking frame! Did they come like this? I wanted a Raleigh titanium but didn't get one as they all seemed to have a paint finish. What's the point of that? You have this wonder metal that doesn't rust, chip, scratch or corode and what did the do? Paint the damn thing. If I had seen one like yours I would have had it. Got a DNA in the end. Built it into a nice bike. Someone else thought so as they nicked it! Got an early Ti Bonty now. I'll say it again, the Raleigh look good!

Thanks for the comments.

They came either in a matt finish like this or polished. Matt were the lower spec bikes or the frame set only.
Managed to find the original brochure for the bikes.

Will do do some pics of the Merckx, it needs a clean and some new bits.

Fellow Torus Owner

I have an NOS frameset and forks awaiting build inspiration - what size is the post and clamp BTW?

SIDs do look tasty on that frame!

Mr K

Can I ask about your 2 speed set up - I was thinking of doing this on my Dave Yates Diabolo after having great success with my Raleigh Technium as a singlespeed. I figured I can't do mountain biking where I live as singlespeed as I have to cycle about 5 miles before I get to the trails and I don't want to do that with a 36:16 or suchlike :roll: and I got to thinking, well how about 2 speed and just hook the chain onto the big ring with finger when needed. Now what do I do about the back end especially when I don't want a whole rear mech. Yours looks like the neat solution - can I have a close up pic of that?

Seat post - I am using a 27.0 mm post with a 28.2 mm shim, but I think a 28.4 will fit.

2 Speed - At the moment my ratio set up is a bit too low for road, could do with a 46 or 48 top ring, it works well when I put a 16T on the rear, but a bit too high for some off road hills. The usuall recommendations are 2:1 for offroad and 3:1 for on road, but obviously bike weight and tyre friction can vary that.
The Paul's Melvin has 3 spacers held by a circlip on the frame bolt to give some adjustment when line up with the rear cog, chain should be inline with the small ring on the front, tension will compensate for lack of allignment on the top ring.

Attachments

• paulsmelvin (1).jpg
    paulsmelvin (1).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 3,276
  • paulsmelvin.jpg
    paulsmelvin.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,276
Cheers. That's why I am getting hold of a 15t cog for my rear on my Technium as it's currently 2.88:1 which explains why I felt it was under geared for the road. Never knew about the 3:1 and 2:1 guide ratios, but they make sense now. Like the Paul gizmo - where can I get hold of one (or similar that does the same job)?

AMT27 - that whole set up is cool. SID's always look good with bare totanium frame IMO.

Orange - maybe use a short cage Shimano roadmech instead of the Pauls?

Orange - maybe use a short cage Shimano roadmech instead of the Pauls?

yes I thought about that - had a look on Ebay, but for a lightweight one it's a bit pricey... will have to think about it.

Back