1991 Marin Bear Valley

colin1976

Retro Newbie
I owned this one from new then sold it to a mate and recently bought it back from him.

Pics below are after I've converted it to (what I consider) an ideal road (pub / shops / commute) bike. Afraid I forgot to take any before pics.

During his ownership he fitted CODA disc wheels and brakes (o/e on my year 2000 Cannondale Jekyll 2000sl) - which I also sold him. No idea where he got the widget that allows you to run a rear disc brake. It seems to work so I've kept it.

He also fitted some horrible RST suspension forks and sadly lost the originals. I've replaced the RSTs with an Identiti Tuning Fork, and replaced the Biopace Shimano 400LX with Middleburn Slickshift Hardcoat rings (26, 36, 46).

Rest of the spec is original, except for:
- 7 speed Shimano HG50 (12-2:cool: cassette
- SRAM chain
- FSA Orbit XL 2 headset
- Brand X 120mm stem
- Brand X lock-on grips
- Non QR seat-clamp
- Wellgo MG1 flat pedals
- Continental City Contact 1.5 tyres

I also have a 1991 Pine Mountain (again, owned from new). It's currently having a mechanical refurb - will post pics when I get it back. It's been in regular use (latterly as a road bike) throughout the last 19 years...

Attachments

• Bear Valley 1 jpg.jpg
    Bear Valley 1 jpg.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,890
  • Bear Valley 2 jpg.jpg
    Bear Valley 2 jpg.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 4,890
  • Bear Valley 3 jpg.jpg
    Bear Valley 3 jpg.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,890
  • Bear Valley 4 jpg.jpg
    Bear Valley 4 jpg.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 4,890
old_skool_cool":12u0pvdf said:
looks a nice one post some pics up of the pine mtn! love the updated disc brake look
Thanks!
I'm particularly pleased with how similar the Identiti Tuning Fork looks to the original Marin fork.

I'll get some pics of the Pine Mountain up as soon as I get it back from the shop. It's currently having a new drivetrain and wheels fitted (braking surface of its 3rd set of wheels has worn very thin...I'd love to know how many miles I've done on it in 19 years)...

Back