1990 Merlin monstercross. Now with Magura Cyclecross brakes

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Weird story. Found this bike, branded "Speed" on the bay. The seller said it was a Merlin. Upon further examination, the bike proved itself a Merlin indeed. Dropouts, saddle clamp, brake worm, brake bosses, BB, and frame number all concurred in dating it back to 1990. Tom Kellogg, really kind, confirmed this. The only weird thing is the finish, satin, probably an elaboration by Speed to differentiate it from normal Merlins (bad idea).
A bit short for me, I decided to go with drops, but I'll change these Specy vintage drop bars with an On One Mungo..
It's mounted with
Xt-Campy Mirox wheels
Flexstem
Deore DX seatpost
XT cartridge headset
Dura Ace shifters
Dia Compe levers
XTR cantis
XTR rear, Xt front der.
XC pro MDS crankset

Nothing too flashy, but I'm gonna add less period correct but flashier Magura cyclecross brakes and a Paul-Ringlé-Mavic citron wheelset

What about it?

Attachments

• P1040283 (Medium).JPG
    P1040283 (Medium).JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 3,113
Looks good already- I'm liking the sound of Magura cyclo-cross brakes too :cool:

Do the Specialized bars get wider at the bottom?

I'm thinking about a Spesh forged stem, but I like the cush of the flexstem... dunno... What do you think?

I think a black steel stem would look good & would match the forks. Salsa?

Thats a cool bike. I have a 25 degree stem 120mm Titec steel with the Bontrager gussett. Although its Threadless. You could make it work.

I vote for a LD stem though. I have always loved those with dirt drop bars.

Back