was it worth it?----TBG, kona explosif---(sinnerman)

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Approx four months ago, another member convinced me to ressurect my race bike from back in the day, and instead of just browsing the site to join up, id never used or been on a forum before (and i think it showed... :cry: ,) (although i had used the RB ebay search facility since the start.), it has taken me a while to get my head around forums, but ive got to say this place is like a drug....and im pleased i joined.

I know i have shown this bike on sum threads, ( so ill apologise now to those who have seen it before.) but, i wanted to say how glad i am, that i did take the time and effort to ressurect my old bus, out of all the bikes i have built and ride, i always seem to come back to this one, it gets ridden and cleaned the most, i cant tell you why, its not the lightest, but i love the frame geometry, the way it handles, and the no nonsense suntour spec. bought in 1989, raced, then brought back from the dead in 2010, and all thanks to MAVERICK, and RETROBIKE--(jon, and all who contribute to the site) . so thanks guys!!!!!

BUILD SPEC:-

TBG kona explosif frame---tange prestige concept..( completely refinished)
TBG Track Two, straight blade forks, (completely refinished)
Velocity stem---(custom painted)
Custom Made decals--(sinnerman/roffers)

The entire bike, is pretty much how it left the shop-- spec wise, obviously, parts were replaced over the years, as they wore out got broke or abused, but its pretty much always been replaced with the same again with the exception of the tyres and saddle, which were changed before i left the shop. During the racing years, i always had problems with the efficency and accuracy of the suntour gear change,(shocking) and surprisngly the track two forks, (early production sets, had lots of problems with blades moving up into the crown, the forks shown on the bike are the 3rd set that were replaced under warranty---thankfully by this set, problems were resolved and they have been perfect ever since)

In my attempt to rebuild it to how it was, i wanted the original tyres, i used Bitd, Panaracer Timbuk IIs, which i sourced from jeff, at FIRST FLYTE bikes, a Selle Italia Rolls saddle, (still availiable nos,.),
Both wheels were rebuilt, this time using a shimano hub, cassette, i wish i did this 20 years ago, the gear change is now much improved, and with hyperglyde sprockets very smooth. The bearings, cables, and brake blocks were all replaced too, i always fancied syncros back in the day, yet never had the money, so i bought a new post, i reassembled, and serviced it, and it has been performing faultlessly for the last four months, the only thing i have spent any money on is a new headset(not the one in the pics, this has now been changed,) originally it was specd with a kona impact headset, but they would constantly work loose and didnt stay on the bike for long bitd, so my choice this time, " durace," .

Again thanks to all for the site, its agreat place to be........anyone for top trumps-------another top idea......retrobike top trumps...fantastic idea-care of WU-TANGLED.......go for it mate, legend...>!!!!!!! :cool:

Attachments

• first ride since rebuild.JPG
    first ride since rebuild.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 6,127
  • finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 6,130
  • tbg kona.JPG
    tbg kona.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 6,130
  • tange prestige concept. track IIs.JPG
    tange prestige concept. track IIs.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 6,131

Attachments

• on the dry.JPG
    on the dry.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 6,129
  • now just clear coat.JPG
    now just clear coat.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 6,129
  • now just splatter.jpg
    now just splatter.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6,129
  • applying the clear coat.JPG
    applying the clear coat.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,119
:cool: Yes worth it for sure, looks spot on and the attention to detail is perfect.

Do you have any pics of it before the resto ?

what i have

Gravy Monster":m1vfjqqz said:
:cool: Yes worth it for sure, looks spot on and the attention to detail is perfect.

Do you have any pics of it before the resto ?

heres what it was like...

Attachments

• before 6.jpg
    before 6.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 6,047
  • before 4.jpg
    before 4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 6,047
  • before 3.jpg
    before 3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6,047
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 6,048
Bloody 'ell! What a fantastic job! Especially on the splatter -that can't have been easy, looks absolutely perfect.

Who did the paint for you?

Back