Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Some of you have probably seen this one before:

ikkeracend800h.jpg

1988 Koga Miyata ValleyRunner. I do ride it off road regularly. I only yesterday finished the bike that is likely to be ridden more in future. It has a pretty similar frame, but it also has high tech features like HyperGlide.

932407374_8b167a3eb4_b.jpg

It is a 1989 Koga Miyata TerraRunner. Complete Deore, TrueTemper bar, black chrome Tioga Mountaineer stem, Strong post, Panaracer DH Magics...

I completely rebuilt it. I removed the orignal balls in ring from the bb and headset. Originally there are only 9 balls in each side of the bb. Without the ring there are now moving 11 freely on each side. Same for the headset: Originally 2x 20, now 2x 24. A 20% increase! I used Motorex grease from Switzerland. No need to look after the bearings the upcoming yrs. The headset is the one with partially rubber cups btw. I think that was for 1989 only.

Inside the frame I sprayed FluidFilm AS-R. About the best rust prevention you can get for a bicycle.

In fact I now have a pretty much near new bike. Took me some hours to rebuilt everything, but the bike itself costed me nothing, as it was given away free.

Several more pics:

932407214_d068a5db59_b.jpg

932407062_6d769132f0_b.jpg

932406468_a5377df04c_b.jpg

Built with Miyatas own tubing. 3ple butted and with spirals at the ends. On the frame: It is not really that there is much detailling that is a delight for the eye. It is a functional frame with eyelets and even a mount for the dynamo. What is there, is neatly made.

I haven't weighted it, but I think the bikes weighs somewhere between 12-13kg. The TrueTemper/Tioga combo is not particularly light and also the tyres contribute substantially. I have had the fork in my hand and it felt not heavy.

I for sure will ride it often the upcoming time.

Hi Ed,

Yes, it is in very good shape. Forummember yo-eddy picked it up for me. When he picked it up it was covered with dust. After he did a quick cleaning with WD-40 and some checks he soon discovered it was in a surprisingly great condition. Thx yo! Now I've done the complete rebuilt it will be ready to roll without trouble for the upcoming yrs.

I bought an inventory of a lbs some time ago

Also including:
- Starbike brakes
- AC boosters
- multiple stems
- USE stuff
- Cook BBs
etc

I do use a lot myself (sooner or later), but selling some also helps a bit in funding my projects.

Back