Orange - Aluminium-O 1992

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok so I bought brooklanders other frame as pictured by himself
aluminium_o_008_232.jpg

Paint is well thick 0.5mm in plases and a tough as a plastic covering, infact feels very much like it.

Looks to be 3rd batch, but cannot find the serial number to confirm.

Vital stats as I go along for myself or anyone else that buys one
19" Centre to Top of seat tube

>5.1lb frame weight (estimated as bottom bracket is stuck in it)
EDIT 5.13 lb

Seat Post size : 27.6mm
Seat Post Clamp size : 31.8mm EDIT to add
Front Mech Clamp size : unknown EDIT 31.8mm
Headtube length : 120mm
Top Tube length :22.25" CtC actual ___ (effective probably about 22.5")
Headset size :1 1/4" headset size
Bottom bracket shell : 68mm

Down tube : ~ 37/33 bi-oval with ~35mm round in the centre
Top tube : ~ 35/30 bi-oval with 32mm round in the centre
Seat tube top : ~32mm at clamp, ovalising near the bottom to 31/34
Stay length = 16.5"

really it needs a traditional style front mech as it's oval where the modern top swing would need to mount (see above pic :roll: )

Plans for build
hum .... nowt special.

That was my guess given the tube diameter (same as front mech) but new to clamps other than the Kona in my sig which was an easy one to know.

I have a few choices looking in my boxes as to 'what goes on it'

EDIT

Minor mock up , hahahaha to see about the seatpost.. blue or silver (wasn't expecting to have the silver one)
Lets just say, silver and I'll get eh blue one stripped at some point.
P1030480.JPG

Shame the fork and stem are 1" not 1 1/8" (will be using an shimmed down headset)

GT-Steve":yicpki2v said:
Yummy... I really need to get a start on mine ;)

Clamp should be 28.6mm btw... ;) :cool:
28.6 wouldn't I need to stretch that a bit around a ~32mm tube ?
31.8 (after a quick look) looks at available sizes, would be the obvious one ? Same as the front mech band size.
I fitted one I suddenly remembered I had (bough it cheap with a cheap Q/R and discarded the clamp). But doesn't have the size stamped of it and ebay's listing is now too old. It seems to fit.

Yes get on with yours :D

Good to see this one up and running :D Mine's sulking in the corner as I'm spending all my time with my new 5. :oops:

Not sure if I should go the whole hog with respray and tidy parts or just build it with what I've got. We'll see.

Yey, bottom bracket out. Good night soak in WD40 from any orifice that I could put it down in at, botled on 375mm adjustable wrench and a large hammer to hit the wrench create the short impulse shocks that often help get these removed.

Now some fool fitted a un52 '73mm' bottom bracket into a 68mm shell, so that accounts for the unusual offset it had :LOL:
Odd as they had M900 cranks in the above photo (you selling them edd :LOL: )
So all the gear and no idea then.

But means I can weight the frame bare.
2330g it is then 5.13lb for a Alu frame, not a light bike then. No wonder I bought the prestige BitD, cheaper, lighter and well a better frame :LOL: I wasn't all that daft back then.
But guess I should last a while.
Probably loose some weight if I strip the plastic err paint coating, still going to be heavy still and that sounds like effort as it' loose blasted underneath it.

If you think the crank was a good score you should have seen the wheels :shock: ;)

Glad the bb's out and will watch with interest. ;)

brocklanders023":buxt0kj4 said:
If you think the crank was a good score you should have seen the wheels :shock: ;)

look like mavic (from the rear sticker) 231CD on XTR (looking at the front hub) and some naff green tyres ?

Looking good... :cool: :cool:

I had it on good authority, from a purveyor of the 'O' that the FR Mech was a 28.6 clamp... Maybe I'll measure mine now I have the frame, rather than listening to advice... :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:

FluffyChicken":oj6b8deo said:
brocklanders023":oj6b8deo said:

look like mavic (from the rear sticker) 231CD on XTR (looking at the front hub) and some naff green tyres ?

;)

Latest posts

Back