Not too old but retrobike needs more DH, GIANT ATX 990/900

dmrbikerboy

Dirt Disciple
Its a giant atx 900, 1998 so not too old, but the original 990 (same frame,different shock) was designed in conjunction with john tomac!

Mine unfortunately has been sprayed in disgusting black and blue. Its going to be restored to its original yellow front, red rear unless anyone has any better suggestions.

Also im going to manufacture some new links for it unless any one has any original links lying around, the goldtech ones give a bb height of 15inches which is extortionate!

Tell us what you think and what spec i should run, im thinking new sram attack shifters and old xt/xtr mechs if i can find some. Middleburn rs7 as they were the crank of the day for UK DH, with a triple as this is guna be a bike for all riding styles.

S5030555.jpg

My uncle once found one of these in a skip,

red anodised main frame - had a few xt parts on it and a cracked back end so I kept the xt bits and he took the rest for scrap.

never realised it was a half descent frame :?

du happen to live in the south england area, cos i know the guy who threw it away! lol! its exactly how u describe except the shocks earlier than mine.

coincidentally mine was thrown away at our local recycling centre! haha and i reclaimed it from OXFORD CYCLE WORKSHOP! possibly the greatest shop on the planet, everyone take a look.

Im from yorkshire way so it probably wasn't yours, It had a RST shock which was knackered, and the crack was along a weld so was written off in my mind.

maybe these were made by the manitou 'cracking frame' company too :LOL:

i had one off these, had yellow front end and red rear, had spare plates etc, did the goldtech upgrade and yeah b/b hight was nuts, came with formula red ano discs and marzocchi dh3;s

gave the bike away in the end as a present to a mate who emergrated to australia.

:D

sounds absolutely awesome! mine doesnt have disc mounts, and has the stupid goldtech plates, im probably going to make my own, giving it 3.5inchs and run a more modern z1 x-fly 80mm fork upfront, as a tough xc bike as i feel im smooth enough to short travel as im usually a rigid rider.

spec wise id go for original as possible. our team rider at the time (also giant uk) rich simpson had the complete bike. 1st gen xt v-brakes, 1st gen orange bomber forks, & xt groupset.

So did my mate andy but had it taken away when he drunkly rode it into a river, with photo evidence :shock:

im going for fairly original though 99 bombers, middleburns as they were jst released then, avid v's are being used for shear braking power, and easton kit, everywhere else.

Original linkages on the way...

Back