Irk the purists - 199? Cinder Cone build

ninety

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
Esther wants a bike for getting around town. After spending a long while trying to persuade her that she didn't really want a step-through, Dutch style monstrosity, I finally managed to get a compromise in the form of a small MTB.

I found a Cinder Cone with P2s on ebay for cheap - the paint was too far gone to rescue, so I got it done plain white (excellent work by my brother). From the decals that were left on it, I'd have placed it at 94, but the macaroni round the seat tube instead of a dog collar maybe raises doubts? The frame also came with a Velocity stem, which has polished up nicely. I'm not going to be sticking to period all the way through, there's some Alfine cranks to go on and the brakes will be whatever's in the garage (pulled by STX RC levers from oldschool).

Thanks to Alex (retrokona), I then got some M261s laced to LX hubs, an LX rear mech from Richard (giant-one) and some cheap, non-retro On One Fleegle bars and it's basically as you see here.

I've just picked up a shim for an old USE post today in 26.8mm, but it's too big - can anyone tell me if these are 26.4mm instead? I've had the verniers on it and it's somewhere between 26 and 27, but as it's round I can't get it bang on.

Any comments welcome (especially to do with age and seat post size!), better pics once it's further on...

Attachments

• 31102010247.jpg
    31102010247.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,935
Thanks Mr Duke - I shall return to the drawing board (after hitting myself repeatedly in the face for not asking the question *before* I tried to fit the shim)

My wife's daily ride is a 1998 Fire Mountain, it works really well at its job. Depending on fit, she might need a shorter stem though than the velocity fitted.

@Hamster - I know what you mean, but hopefully she can get away with it - there's a lot of sweep on the bars so I'm keeping fingers crossed that'll compensate enough

Looks more like a 1990 Brodie to me, Catalyst or Climbmax maybe?

Got a serial number?

They have a very close gene pool to the Kona's although that canti bridge separates it, otherwise the frame looks Identical to my 1990 Cinder Cone.

Anthony may be able to tell you more.

89/90 (?) cindercone had that slight offset on the stay top/tube and noodle for the canti's, white with spekles or splatter probably the 90's with the offset ?

EDIT
iirc
'89 is white with splatter(red/yellow ?)
'90 is white with speckles(red/yellow

89 is 26.6 '90 is 26.4 or 26.8 i.e. not 26.6 :LOL:
something like that. ask Anthony though.

Serial code on it may/may not help, but it'll add to the numbers people probably keep. to id frames.

Back