1985 Claud Butler Canyon *****FINISHED*****

wired99

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So, here goes my first ever 'build' thread so bear with me, ok?
As I mentioned a few days ago on the 'chat' forum I found a 1985 Claud Butler Canyon in Burgess Hill, by chance really. I was heading to London and flicking through the local free-ads pages I stumbled across her. I rang the guy up, headed over there on the way back and was instantly smitten by those antler bars and lounge geometry of the frame. I won't say what I paid but have just spent more on a new chain and cables for my roadbike :oops:

Today I have stripped her down and discovered that under what looks like a coating of lava lies a real gem of a bike. Everything came off easily (bar the stuck post :? ) and there are no hidden disasters from what I can see.

The BB looks in great condition, covered in hard grease but not pitted or anything. All the threads are as clean as a whistle headset is A1, and there is no rust anywhere on the frame at all. The chainrings are barely used, and the block looks equally good albeit caked in grime.

Only problems I can see thus far are
a) aforementioned post is stuck
b) bearings in the wheels a little gritty
c) The back chain/wheel protector is cracked

That's it really, so all in all absolutely chuffed with her...

Polishing/cleaning/post removal begins in earnest this weekend and then the tricky bit, what to do build-wise?

I am tempted to just rebuild her catalogue spec. All the bits are in great condition so basically would be pretty straight forward (maybe some new wheels?) to put her back as she was. Must admit I haven't ridden an '85 MTB so have no idea what it will ride like. Should I upgrade a bit? And if so to what? Thoughts would be most appreciated.

I will add some pics later when I get in, but here is a pic of her as I bought her last Friday...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121974

I'd leave as is with just a clean & grease.

claudbutler001.jpg

OR....

'upgrade' with Deore, Deore II or DX or Mountain LX as it will make shifting a little more pleasant.

M700 deerhead is also an option but it shifts like shite and is getting expensive

So, managed to strip down the frame. Underneath a inch of grime the bike is in wonderful condition. There is a tiny dink in the top tube but for a 25 year old bike that's not really surprising I guess. A few chips and scratches here and there but easily touched up. The BB came out very easily and appears to have loads of life left in it, no pitting just hard congealed grease. I gave it a clean and it's ready to be re-greased and put back in as was. Weirdly the headset is smooth as butter!

It appears that the bike has had very little use and, given that everything bar the seatpost has been well greased, pretty well maintained all these years.

After a few hours of cleaning the mechs and chainset have come up pretty well I think. And those antler bars just glimmer
Next up, the wheels and regreasing the wheel bearings!
:)

I think given that everything appears to be in good condition I will try and put her back together as she came out of the shop. That will mean getting a Sakae MTE 100 seatpost, one of those weird adjustable ones, anyone got one ?

claudbutler003-1.jpg

claudbutler001-1.jpg

claudbutler004.jpg

claudbutler005.jpg

So, onwards and upwards on the Claud Butler re-build. Things have been a little slow but have taken everything off and given it all a damn good clean. Everything is original, I think, bar the GOD DAMN POST!! (more on that in a minute)...

The back wheel is a little slack so needs re-truing, and pedals need a service and may change to cups on the BB to new shimano ones.

The frame has a few chips but very little, and has come up lovely with a t-cut and polish. Have got a pair of amberwalls on the way, some 6mm cable housing, and some new pads. Am looking for some touch up paint too (Claud Butler Forest Green) if anyone has a match :) Then I'm good to go......bar...

The post is proving a right pain. Currently on the fourth day of soaking in penetrating oil. Seems it pretty far in and it don't wanna come out. Thinking of trying the hacksaw method. Anyone tried that?..... or is that really the last throw of the dice. I'd leave it in if it was the right height but it ain't and it looks horrible :(

Really enjoying this project and the style of the bike has had me looking back at the old repack days with great interest. I just love the coolness of these old frames and, spurred on by the wonderful 531 Overbury's and whatnot lately I have seen on the site, I can't wait to get her up and running.

Here's a couple of pics:-

claudbutler008.jpg

claudbutler007.jpg

Local Bike Shop

had the very same problem with a headset, and my shop sorted it out in two swift hits :)

Back