New project. 1992 Orange Aluminium 'O'.

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Found this lurking in a second hand shop so just had to have it. It was no mega bargain but I think I got it for a fair price. It's a 19" so just the right size.

Anyway, the 'O' is the only 1990/93 Orange I'd yet to own and I've always fancied seeing what they're like. It's a bit tired but has no damage and the paint work is in pretty good nick. It came with USE post, Magura's, DX/LX/STX groupo and some Manitou Black forks that seem quite plush.

Not sure exactly what to do with it yet but I'm thinking of taking it back to a period correctish build involving DX, Pace and lots of polished bits. Think the orange Flite I've got will suite it as well. Saying that, it seems to rid well with the longer forks so even though I shouldn't I might give it a try with them. :oops: :cool:

Updates to follow as the changes take place. Advise and ideas on build direction always welcome. ;)

Personally I would fit the seat post the right way round.
But also strip it back to silver. I would forgo suspension and fit Alu-O Forks and a matching stem if you can get hold of them.
I think PACE suspension is getting boring with these and be nice to see something a bit different. Then if I could I would use a mix of DX/XT accurate for the year (RF+ etc..) if I could find it or a Suntour XC Pro/Comp in Microdrive mix as 1993 was a good year for it.
In an ideal world.

I'd be shot of the brakes as well unless you can remove the blue.

I'll keep my eye on this one, nice to see it in black and later decal styling.

Thanks Fluffy. All stripped down now so I can go which ever way I want. Don't think either the USE or Magura's will see service on the 'O' again tbh. Can't decide if it needs a re-paint or not :? We'll see.

I'm thinking polished seatpost, stem, bar and maybe forks. Might borrow the M732/5 from my Clockwork for the build.

As an extra bonus it turns out the rings are Middleburn and cassette M900. ;)

Here's a few fork ideas from the stock I've got. Thoughts?

Personally I think the Pace silver (#2) is all wrong and far too heavy for the bike, leave them for Clockworks.
#3 goes best but are they too long ?

Back