1996 GT Team LTS - Update 02.02.11

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I thought I'd start a thread about my first venture into the world of building up a retro bike.

The Team LTS was one of the first bikes I can remember drooling over, back when a friend of mine took delivery of his in 1996. I've just purchased a 16" Team LTS frame from dave witchdoktor, and I'm really looking forward to working on it.

Here are a couple of pics:

018.jpg

012.jpg

004.jpg

I haven't actually got the frame yet, as I still have a little bit of money left to pay for it. However once it's with me, the first thing I'll be doing is stripping the frame down. The decals will be taken off, and it will all be given a really good clean & polish (I'll have plenty of time to do it as I don't have any money for kitting it out just yet!). I'll be replacing all of the suspension bushes with a BETD bearing replacement kit.

Next step will be to get some replacement decals, and then I'll be going about the business of kitting it out slowly. I'm going to go for a simple theme, with a mix of:

XT/XTR
Middleburn
Ringle/Hope
Long Travel Judy SLs
All bolts (where possible) will be anodised red

I think that's about it - this is pretty much the exact same build as my friend had, and the complete bike weighed in at around the 24-25lb mark so I'm really looking forward to getting it completed, although it may take me a while! More pics will be added as and when the build progresses.

I'd welcome any suggestions/advice from people who've done a similar build too :D

Looks to be a great start for a project :cool:

I would shop around first before going with BETD for bushes & bearings.

Whilst they are very good you can still get the originals. When I had mine there was a shop is the states selling complete kits for very little money - I'll see if I can find it ......

Also the shocks are a piece of cake to service ;)

I had an LTS for a while a couple of years ago - supprised by how it ate up the bumps despite a relatively small amount of travel

I'll be back in a bit .....

EDIT: An example of what you can get from the states:

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?cPat ... page=index

http://stores.ebay.com/ICYCLESUSA/Other ... d=15377296

http://cgi.ebay.com/GT-Bike-LTS-Drop-Ou ... 5885764982

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers Mark, those links (especially the first one) are very helpful!

I've been assured that the bushes are tight, and that the shock is in excellent working order, so I don't think any of it will need replacing straight away. I think what I might do is build it as it is for now (if the bushes etc are in good nick), and then possibly swap the bushes out for the BETD bearing kit at a later date.

Of course, all this is reliant wholly on the assumption that I might actually have the money to be able to do it! It was my dream bike back in the day, so I kind of want to spend a bit of money on it to get it all looking (and feeling) right... I think the retro bug has bitten!

Cool beans.

One word of caution though ......

If you do decide to take any of the bushes out of the main frame (not the pivots near the dropouts) be sure you have spares before removing.

The little plastic bits can be really brittle & held in place by dirt and old grease :shock:

No Way!...

I'm also new to the site (Hi!), and have also just taken delivery of a 96 team LTS, also a 16"...

Plans were to strip, polish, etc, build it up with a nice mix of period UK stuff, XT/XTR... Got the original Judy DHs sat here...

Here's the killer: I was planning a smattering of red anodising! I already have red Hope ti glide/Fatso and a few other bits...

Barneyballbags, I commend you on your impeccable taste!

Let the builds commence!

It sounds as if you're already a few steps ahead of me! I've only got the frame at the moment - it'll be interesting to see how the 2 builds go. I might change my mind and opt for a blue approach now instead! I quite fancy some turquoise Ringle hubs ;)

I’d be going for some all red Judy DH
Single AC Front chain ring
Mavic 121 Ceramic rims/Black spokes/Hope hubs
XTR V-Brakes.

UPDATE

New forks (I know they're not Judy's, but they're nice all the same!):
p4pb5822245.jpg

New Stem:
ac5f967c.jpg

6664a0d8.jpg

Could someone help, and tell me whether I've got a 95 or 96 LTS frame please? I've been told (thanks, My_Teenage_Self!) that the mech hanger & canti bosses are 96, but that the decals aren't? Also my frame has a canti hanger, whereas his doesn't? They are both supposed to be '96 frames.

I don't have the frame to be able to check the serial number (it's being delivered next week).

Back