Marin Palisades trial

sylus

Old School Grand Master
I've just bought this today

Apparently the story behind it is the chap that bought it in 1994 become ill very quickly after buying it and so left it stored in a spare bedroom..he then recently sold it to the chap I bought it off..who then used it for around 30 miles before selling it

marin4.jpg

marin3.jpg

marin2.jpg

marin1.jpg

Now before I bought it I started lining up xtr this and xtr that

but having seen it I wonder if I should just leave it...100% original?

I'd leave that one original, it's a corker. Looks like it just fell through time.

The Alivio kit on that is the same I had on my Timberline and it was perfectly functional.

Better to buy a second frame and bling that out maybe?

Leave it as is, just change anything to make it comfy and fit you properly.

It's not the sort of frame you would hang XTR off.

In Marin's world it is low end touching mid range..
i.e 3rd from the bottom, 8th from the top of the ATB/MTB 'now called hardtail' steel frames

It's beautiful as it is! I'd leave it as it is too - it's perfect as a sunny day pootler. That must be the bike that was for sale on STW or BikeRadar recently - glad it's gone to a good home.

That's a nice stone frog there in the backround. :D
I can't see a bicyle project in these pics. I think you just bought a wonderful time machine.

FluffyChicken":1xest6vz said:
Leave it as is, just change anything to make it comfy and fit you properly.

It's not the sort of frame you would hang XTR off.

In Marin's world it is low end touching mid range..
i.e 3rd from the bottom, 8th from the top of the ATB/MTB 'now called hardtail' steel frames

fluff..wen't i were a lad...marin was the one bike i absolutely loved and could never afford..big familly and one of 4 kids

i loved the simpleness of the colours and basic but stylish way marins were

because o the quality of this bike I think I will now try and get one from every bit of the hardtail rang either in good condition or and a condition I can refurb to new

your comment that it was 8th from the top and 3rd from the bottom means there is 11? my maths is pants

could you tell me what the other models were in the range at the time

or could anyone tell me the full range of hardtails at that time?

Might be harder to get some of the range just because there where so many.

I said 'Marins' world as they had a very low to very high spec range. Compared to many smaller companies that started at Marins midrange

In 1994 the range went like this
Steel Hardtail

From Bottom to Top

Bobcat Trail

Muirwoods
Palisades Trail
Bear Valley

Bear Valley SE
Eldridge Grade
Pine Mountain

Zig Zag Trail
Team Marin
Team Issue

Zig Zag to Team Issue used the same frame.

Then the other separations are 'could be same frames, or very similar frames'

You should be able to find the 1994 catalogue in the Archive&Gallery, search down the manufacturers.

My old man still has his 1995 Marin Bear Valley SE and it still works and nowt I know of has changed on it. The bikes do ride nicely, especially compared to some of the much wanted bikes on here but they're just not cool ;)

Looks totally fresh (as you would expect from the history!)

Keep it original.....and its about time someone put some more miles on it ;)

Why can't I find bikes like this?!!

Back