Too far gone?

Jody75

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi all, would love to get this '92 Stumpy stripped and re-powdered but unsure if its too rusty, whadya fink?

Cheers, Jody.
016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg
[/img]

I don't think it's too late to save it :D Just may cost a bit of £££

Well I'd give it a good seeing-to first with a brass wire brush on a Dremel.
Get all the flaky stuff off, then make a judgement on how much metal has been lost / how bad is the pitting.

I'd be most concerned about corrosion inside the tubes - does the frame rattle when you shake it? Tap it a few times with a mallet, then shake again - has the rattle got any worse?

New cables and clean/service and pub/winter bike it, hamerite rusty areas,

wouldnt spend to much ££ on it. just enjoy it,

:D

thanks for the replies all, think ill strip it and see how bad it is underneath it all. If too far gone ill salvage what i can and look for another frame or complete bike :D

If it was mine, I wouldn't even get it resprayed as I respect original paint and stickers.

I would strip the bits off it and remove all flaked paint and brown material with a fine craft file. You'd be able to tell whether too much thickness had been lost anywhere for it to retain its structural integrity. I would guess not from those pictures, in which case I would paint all metal with Kurust and later overpaint with close-match Humbrol model paint.

Back