Topanga Rescue

Daddy Pig

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all

While delivering builders rubble to the tip yesterday, I saw this looking very sad in the metals skip. Checked out Topangas here this morning and went back (with more rubble) to save it - had to give the tip bloke £5 to put his sandwich down and dig it out for me.

It's not pretty..... fair bit of rust of on top tube and underneath bb shell. An acquaintance of mine has a shot blasting cabinet; thought I might give it a blast in there then find a reasonable local resprayer?

What d'ya reckon guys? It's no beauty but it surely doesn't deserve the skip!
main.php

There's another thread on here where a guy did a similar thing to what you'r proposing with a Diamondback Ascent that he found in a scrap merchants.

That is a nice frame and deserves some love definately not the tip and £5 to save that is a bargain. To me there is just something about those Diamondbacks they seem to look just right nice and purposeful :D Get it blasted and give it a nice new coat and it will look the part :D

nice save mate
with those paintjobs its a hard thing to decide on a full strip and re-paint
or a touch up job
that will build into a nice bike tho

Thanks Guys; its always interesting to get your feedback.

I saw orange's build and it inspired me to go back and get this one; that's a really nice job! Nice one on that Axis too.

Mikee, I think this is going to need a lot more than a touch-up. I think I'll need to have the paint off to find the extent of the damage, just to make sure there is some life left in it.

I had a tinker this afternoon. Ended up cutting the cranks off but inside the bb shell seems ok. Main problem is I CANNOT shift the stem. Got the bolt out but the stem is going nowhere. I've applied lots of oil and given it some "taps" with a rubber mallet as hard as I dare. Any suggestions? Apply some heat maybe?

Hi, the link to the Diamond Back Ascent above is mine, these are well worth saving and make a lovely light bike.

With the stem, you have to undo the bolt just a couple of turns or so then tap it with a hammer to knock the wedge down or you won't shift it. If it is still stuck firm then it needs a soak in something like Plusgas, as WD40 and other similar products just won't shift stuff like this. Hope this helps and don't give up on it.

I'm looking forward to updates on this project.
Once i had a similiar problem with a stem. My solution was maybe not the buddist way of things but with the biggest hammer i could find in combination with lots of rage the my stem finally gave up resistance. :D

Back