Kona Cindercone '94 (Sort of!)

Chris D

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my '94 Cindercone. I have owned this bike since new. The only original parts left are the frame, seat post and DX thumbies.

The bar ends, though obviously not supplied on the bike, were soon added.

On my first trip out I hit an exposed tree root hard and destoyed the original front wheel!

After about a year Roch Shox Quadra 21R were added. I kept these on for about four years until purchasing another mountain bike, when my Cindercone was then returned to its original rigid form.

In about 2005 the Impact headset gave up the ghost and the bike had the ahead set fitted with new Project Two forks to try too keep the original look.

Then in about 2007 the seven speed set up finally wore out. I then had the bike made nine speed at the shop it had originally beed purchased from-Madgetts of Diss. Too do this the frame had too be heated to widen the rear stays enough too take the new wheel/cassette. Quite costly but at the time I was unaware of retro bike and I just love the ride so much.

Since getting rid of my road bike I have run it on slicks. That did not stop me riding the Thetford black run in its current form!

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF1746.jpg

DSCF1747.jpg

DSCF1743.jpg
[/img]

nice bike but strange that you had to have the frame heated as all konas of that era had standard 135mm spacing as used on modern bikes today. Did you have to get it resprayed after that as i assume the heating would have buggered the paint?

haggis":3ne48o8m said:
nice bike but strange that you had to have the frame heated as all konas of that era had standard 135mm spacing as used on modern bikes today. Did you have to get it resprayed after that as i assume the heating would have buggered the paint?

Thank you.

As for respraying. No! I had never thought of that. Therefore I will presume that even though the shop had told me they would have too before hand they then realised they did not have too. And on collection no questions were asked.

Sounds like Madgetts were pulling your leg.

Mega Kudos to you for keeping the frame you love so long and keeping it on the trail.
Good work. And nice colour!

KeepItSteel":qaigo3sa said:
Sounds like Madgetts were pulling your leg.

Mega Kudos to you for keeping the frame you love so long and keeping it on the trail.
Good work. And nice colour!

Hi. Thank you for the kind comments.

Think the Madgett thing was a genuine mistake on there part. They qouted me £230 before hand and that was what I was charged.

Not bad for a new LX bottom bracket, chainset and cassette. Two new wheels and chain.

I would definately recommend them to anyone in the area.

Buy and fit your own bits, its more fun ;)

Doesnt sound too bad a price though considering you got 2 new wheels out of it.
I recently got a bargain brakeset from them over the phone thanks to a tip from another member on here.

KeepItSteel":anwuh8zs said:
Buy and fit your own bits, its more fun ;)

Doesnt sound too bad a price though considering you got 2 new wheels out of it.
I recently got a bargain brakeset from them over the phone thanks to a tip from another member on here.

Would love too do my own stuff but not being mechanically minded it takes a long time. Something I don't have much of!

At the moment I am trying to sort my '99 Klein from here but I am just not getting round too it all.

chainguard":bltxuwrd said:
Novel dog collar arrangement :? :?:

That was actually commercially available and was added when the v-brakes were put on. I have no idea what company made it though.

If need be anyone that needed one could contact Madgetts of Diss as he supplied it. He may remember who made them or have one laying about. Though it was a long time ago!

Chris D":1em4ngtc said:
chainguard":1em4ngtc said:
Novel dog collar arrangement :? :?:

That was actually commercially available

Blimey. That must have been a niche market! Presumably it was designed for mounting in the 'traditional' seat tube position too :eek:

um, Edit. No it wasn't (I guess). The cable would have come out of the 'top' then!

Back