1941 Schwinn Excelsior Clunker build!

sandmangts

Senior Retro Guru
Thanks to JWesty I have started a new project. Jeff sent me this lead and I took a chance and ended up with this very nice 41 Excelsior badged DX with very good original paint. Since I got it I have had it sitting around while researching the path for my build. Alan Bonds and I have exchanged a few emails and I managed to aquire some decent parts. I thought I was set to go with a rear sturmey 3 speed with a drum brake and a sturmey drum up front with Araya 7x rims, Ta Cranks, Brooks saddle, Skull Skates bars and a tuff neck mini stem. Here is the frame:
IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

So, Like I said I thought I was set to begin, then yesterday I noticed an obscure craigslist ad that said "vintage schwinn tandems and parts" In the back of my mind I thought there was a slim possibility that this could include the holy grail of clunker drum brake hubs, the ever elusive Union Drum. They almost never surface for sale. They were used by Schwinn for some of their tandems and they are quite rare and highly sought after. I dismissed the ad and went back to work but I was still thinking there may be a chance so I called the guy and since he was very close to my workplace I drove out. Best descision I ever made:
IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

Needless to say my chosen path has changed. These hubs look rough but they work very well and appear to have been used very little. Stay tuned and lets see how this one turns out. It's gonna be a challenge but it should be a fun ride.

subscribbled.

fast becoming a big fan of clunkers. looking forward to seeing what happens next :D

A,
For some reason i have a passion for those 40/41 Dx's (who am I kidding any prewar Schwinn). digging the paint and the sticker. Cleaned up well. Curious about your Union hubs (nice score!). They look different (but the same) than my set, and I have never been able to decide if mine are Unions or what (mine came off a 1954 Town and Country tandem). Do you have the truss rods? What are your plans for up front? Look forward to a real ride report between this and your others......
Cheers,
T

Ductape":lpldmmpm said:
A,
For some reason i have a passion for those 40/41 Dx's (who am I kidding any prewar Schwinn). digging the paint and the sticker. Cleaned up well. Curious about your Union hubs (nice score!). They look different (but the same) than my set, and I have never been able to decide if mine are Unions or what (mine came off a 1954 Town and Country tandem). Do you have the truss rods? What are your plans for up front? Look forward to a real ride report between this and your others......
Cheers,
T

I do have the truss rods and I will be using them. The unions came off mid 50's schwinn tandems as well. Good news is the chrome underneath looks pretty good. Bad news is one has alot of play on the freewheel. I hope it is just the bearings in the freewheel and not the threads. I have to get a freewheel removal tool today and then I will know. The two rear hubs are both Unions but they have a few subtle differences that I will show you once they are removed and cleaned up. Maybe that will help you ID what you have. The front hub is some brand from Norway. JOS, never heard of it. I can't wait to get some beer and get this one going!

Back