1991 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Bought this recently from Coomber of this parish, and took it out for it's first ride today.

had a little fettle first, adjusted gears, new brake pads, etc. Coomber had said that the previous owner had coated the whole bike in thick oil when it was stored (he'd had a go at removing most of it) Not 'alf!!! The old brake pads, rims, and tyres had a nice coating all over them. The braking is much improved after a bit of meths and some new pads!

Everything is as it was in 1991 - though the rear Farmer John is going in the sidewalls - will have to try and source another.

Took it up for a spin on Haldon Hill, did the Ridge Run + a few of the off-piste trails. VERY solid/stiff frame, and that mahoosively long stem makes the steering interesting. First time I've used toe-clips in about 16 years! Ah, memories :p Still caught and overtook a few full-sussers - one of whom was not best pleased and tried to catch and re-overtake me, crashing in the process :roll: That'll learn 'im - the power of 19 year old technology is not to be dismissed (and local knowledge of the trails :LOL: )

Anyhoo - here's some pics.......

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Great bike, great pics and a great place to ride by the looks of it.

One of those is definately on my must own list :D

Looks great and good to see it being used :cool:

Mine is all ready now and the original frame is destin to be wall art :D

Gravy Monster":300z6axi said:
Looks great and good to see it being used :cool:

Mine is all ready now and the original frame is destin to be wall art :D

Yeah, glad it is being used as I wasn't having the time to get on it. It is a super bike though, nice to see it being used properly. Funny story as well.

Thought some new pads would do the trick. And yep, those stems take some getting used to!

Nice photos.

Cheers guys :D

Was a nice afternoon out, and good to ride something different - makes the trails seem even more fun!

@ Gravy Monster:
I checked the headtube after the downhills after seeing the photos of your frame!

I had been considering swapping the stem out for a shorter one - but it seems a pity as the bike is so original. I do however need to get some big spanners and sevice the headset. It seems to be binding a bit, hopefully a good grease will sort it out.

On the Farmer John front - I spoke to my Dad earlie and he thinks he's got a couple of originals stashed in his shed. So we shall see if the old hording instinct has come through with the goods :LOL:

ajantom":10ibaja5 said:
Cheers guys :D

@ Gravy Monster:
I checked the headtube after the downhills after seeing the photos of your frame!

I had been considering swapping the stem out for a shorter one - but it seems a pity as the bike is so original. I do however need to get some big spanners and sevice the headset. It seems to be binding a bit, hopefully a good grease will sort it out.

Yes a very sore point :sad:

The long stem isnt too much a problem for me as the top tube is so short, what length is your stem ?, I will see if my spare one on from the cracked trekker is shorter as it was on a 16" frame.

Cheers

Back