Friends reunited ( no not that one!)

KenG

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

Recently joined Retrobike and have recently been reunited with an old friend.
Back in 1995 i bought a new Kona Hahanna from Sunset MTB in cardfiff, i really loved it but unfortunately due to circumstances a couple of years later i did a deal with a friend at work, always regretted it and over the last couple of months have been pestering him to buy it back, i knew it was stood in his garage being used by his teenage son and gathering scratches and dust.
I remember fitting a few different parts when i bought it new ( xt cantis, gorilla grip brace, and rictchey megabite tyres), guess what, after wering him down he agreed to sell it back to me and here she is.

Just dont know whether to completely rebuild and respray or strip down and renew parts that need renewing, leaning more towards the latter.

Attachments

• Hahanna compressed.JPG
    Hahanna compressed.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,531
coomber":1ovbypd2 said:
Paint looks good. Dont change it unless you have to!

+1 and the decals look very good too. I'd leave it original if it's half as good as it looks in the photo.

I'm going to strip it right down and polish the frame with Maguires scratch remover, Ive already tried it in one or two places and although it didn't bring all the scratches out it did put a nice shine back on the paint.
I intend to replace the bottom bracket and headset and hope i can find decent replacements.

I think leaving it as original as possible is how i want to go.

Wow ... either you or your friend's teenage son is tall. 20" frame plus 1 metre seat post?

But seriously, the bike looks in great original condition, I wouldn't spray it.

I would definitely not strip that paint.

I stripped my 92 Orange Clockwork to repaint as a "project" and still regret doing it :cry:

The picture makes the bike look better than it actually is, there are lots of little scratches on virtually every tube, I used some Maguires scratchx on them and they are still evident but the paint has taken on a lovely shine, still think im going to hand polish it with scratchx and rebuild with new parts though.

PS - the frame is now hanging in the garage completely stripped, I'm amazed at how the bike has stood up so well to the last 15 years, I think keeping the original paint is what it deserves, the scratches are merely battle-scars earned having a good time.

Ohh Hull fodder!

Come riding with us and check the area riding section and the Lincs one as well as we pop over there every now and again.

Give me a shout if you need anything or some help.

Yes keep the paint as is, patina is the word we use ;)

Back