First Retro Build - Yet another white Lava Dome

chainguard

Old School Hero
Here are a couple of pics of my recently completed Lava Dome - and first retro build.

The bike arrived courtesy of ebay in a pretty poor state (previously uncared-for 15 year old bikes look much better in photos than they do in real-life ), but it is back on the road as sympathetically as funds and available components have allowed, as a bike to be used as an off-road, night-riding hack for the winter months.

One or two compromises have been made along the way: after years of hydraulic disc brake use, I'm no longer interested in trying to stop wet and muddy rims with dodgy brakes, so I had a rear brake cable stop brazed on to run V brakes without the annoyance of having to frig a solution (the previous owner had hacksawed the dog collar for that purpose). Many of the components are those that I'd have probably upgraded to had I had the bike from new.

The paint job - powdercoated by Triple S in Bingley - was of course inspired by previous Kona rehabilitiations here on Retrobike - particularly Nick_C's recent build (apologies for not being more original..) and several more on the 'Kona's Page' thread.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =kona+post

The decals - inexpertly applied - are courtesy of Gil_M.

Full-ish specs:

Frame: 1995 Lava Dome
Fork: Original triple-butted P2s
Stem: Original Velocity
Headset: Tange Passage OV
Bars: Original Kona Race-Light
Shifters: XT M739 from a donor bike
Brakes: NOS STX-RC
Chainset: Previously un-used LX M563
Cassette: NOS M737 11-28
Front Mech: NOS STX
Rear Mech: NOS LX M567
Wheels: Mavic 321 and 217 on LX hubs
Tyres: Retro-ish WTB
Weight: 25lb

main.php

main.php

main.php

Good idea to braze on the cable stop. great finish & keep the finished Lava Domes coming as it keeps me inspired to progress mine.

Really nice build you got there.

Nothing wrong with a white Kona! Looks cool and seems to suit the frame style/age of the bike spot on.

Nice one.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the black fork and kit sets off the white frame nicely. I'm a bit particular about bike aesthetics, and although I'm not keen on bling, I've been known to change components purely for reasons of looks. In fact, I'm sure a black seatpost would better suit the bike than the more 'retro-correct' silver post currently installed.

The nice thing about many older bikes is that they are classy in an understated way to start with. The lack of hydroformed tubes in strange shapes and industrial welds helps no end...

White was actually the colour of my first mountain bike - a mid eighties Peugeot - but I guess that the number of re-built white Konas must be rivalling the number of those retaining their original colours.

BTW it rides very nicely - brings back memories!

If i was being really picky id say change the Vs for some lovely neat Cantis, but otherwise a really nice looking Kona. :LOL:

.......well done...

.........well done i love it, clean amd smart, always look good in white. like what you have done with the vbrake too. it may not suit everyone, sum like a PERIOD look, but i think its hansum. :cool:

Iv built plenty of non period builds, its just that i prefer the look of cantis thats all, thuis kona im building now will be the 1st period build iv done and iv done quit a few builds useing retro frames

White Kona

Although I tend to prefer keeping the original colour if possible, (and like period Cantis), I am not against colour changes; and as others have said, white definitely works well on these frames - particularly when keyed with black components.

Excellent work!

ff

Back