1997 GT Zaskar

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
October 2010:

I was given this frame as payment for building up another Zaskar back in about 2004. It's a 1997 Zaskar frame which was originally powder-coated black and not anodised as is commonly thought.
It was fairly tatty when I got it, with a damaged rear brake boss, but still had the majority of it's original decals present.

After fabricating a repair, it became my commuter for a couple of years and then did a few thousand miles as a touring bike, including two trips to Switzerland.

For the past 18 months or so it's been sat in my loft awaiting some sort of restoration. I decided to strip off the tired looking powder coat and polish it up like a thousand other Zaskars.

97Zaskar01.jpg

97Zaskar03s.jpg
97Zaskar04s.jpg
97Zaskar05s.jpg

It's currently very much in a transitional stage, with quite a few modern parts on it while I work out which direction to take.

I'm thinking of keeping the black rigid Spinner forks and I like the contrast with the red DX. I reckon I'll also be sticking with the 8 speed LX set up.
I've got a pair of black LX hubbed wheels to swap onto it when I get a chance too.
The cranks of course need something more appropriate and, try as I might, I'm really not keen on the back swept Fleagle bars on this one.

97Zaskar02.jpg

I'm on the lookout for some red DX pedals and I'll be getting some decals made up at some point. They were also originally red which keeps with the theme. I'd quite like to get my hands on an X-lite Fly stem and riser bars perhaps too.

Having ridden it in it's current form I'm happy that it's a fast and lightweight bike. The 34t Surley singlespeed chainring makes some of my steep local hills a bit more of a challenge too. Which I quite enjoy.

It's definitely a slow burn build though...

Not loving the bars, but I see you dont either ;)

Definately needs some decals, I think bare GT frames all blend into one. Otherwise, looks good with the red DX. Nice to see a Zaskar built a little different.

Latest posts

Back