Mantis XCR-EC - A long time in the making

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
IMG_9329.jpg

I've FINALLY got it finised! This build has been a labour of love. It took me around 6 years of searching to get hold of an XCR in the right size and a further 6 Months to get a solution to the B/B issue I had & to source a 31.8 M900 FD. I'm still not completely happy with the build (looking for a more appropriate stem & seat pillar) but it's a good feeling none-the-less.

Interestingly (well, I think so) I negotiated with the original owner of the frameset (then built with XC-PRO) 4 or so years ago without success. He wanted to sell the whole bike and shipping to Australia was prohibitively expensive. First Flight caught wind of the negotiation (IIRC) & purchased the bike from the original owner. The bike was later traded by a Forum Member (name kept confidential ;) ) for another XCR-EC and the frameset was eventually posted in the for sale section here... where I snapped it up & got it sent over.

The issue I had with the B/B was that I wanted to do an M900 build & the frame came with a 122m B/B spindle (far too wide). I tried for some Months to source an appropriately configured 107mm spindle for the B/B without success. One night, around a Month ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a brilliant idea (true story). I had a set of Tioga Revolvers & thought they may fit... and they did (with a little modification)! The rest is history. :LOL:

The build is pretty understated because I wanted the frame to be the highlight. I may yet swap out the rubber for a pir of NOS black Porc's I have to further focus attention on the frame. Spec's as follows:

Frame: Mantis XCR-EC 18"

Fork: Bontrager Swithblade, 1"

Headset: Dura-Ace 7410 sealed cartridge
Stem: Answer ATAC 1"
Handlebar: Tioga Prestige Cr-Mo
Grips: Rubber

Brakes: M900 cantilevers
Brake Pads: M900
Brake Cables: XTR grey outer with Shimano stainless inner cables
Cantilever cable hangers: M900
Brake Levers: M900 STI

Shifters: M900 STI
Front Derailleur: M900 31.8 DP
Rear Derailleur: M900
Derailleur Cables: XTR grey outer with Shimano stainless inner cables
Cassette: M900 12-32
Chain: HG-91
Cranks: Tioga Revolver 175mm
Chainrings: M900 26, 36, 46
Chainring bolts: M900
Bottom Bracket: 2 x SKF 6008 sealed cartridge bearings
Pedals: M737

Hub Skewers: M900
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Comp
Hubs: M900 32h
Nipples: Wheelsmith brass
Spokes: Wheelsmith double butted (2.0, 1.8, 2.0mm/14/15/14g)
Tyres: Panaracer Magics
Tubes: Kenda rubber,schreader vave

Saddle: Vetta trishock, Vanadium rails
Seatpost: Kalloy Prestige Cr-Mo with alloy clamp
Seatpost Binder: Mantis Cr-Mo

IMG_9334.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

IMG_9332.jpg

IMG_9336.jpg

mikee":25ug0pi8 said:
absolutely gorgeous

i want one ,bike of the year so far for me

Wow, thanks mate! That's a big call, especially considering it's nearly October!

Back