Kona Explosif & AA

CHLYBN

Retro Newbie
My Kona MTB and Road converted MTB rides. Getting back into the sport after a 10 year break. Previously rode with Leeds Uni Cycling Club in Leeds during the early days of Stif in Headlingley. Drooled over the cool kit when I was a student. Now I can own some of it!

Attachments

• 100_0962.JPG
    100_0962.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,832
  • 100_0959.JPG
    100_0959.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,832
Love them both.

It would be nice to see some Z2s or some project 2s on the Explosif. Which is such a cool colour by the way, one of my favourite kona colours.

nice Explosif...

seeing an Explosif of the same era reminds me I need to get my camera out tomorrow and get some pics posted. I'm guessing yours is a '96 which was my dilema on the day of purchase - ex-demo '95 with Judy XCs & SPDs thrown in or new '96. I went for the '95 coz it was £100 less and available to take away ---- never looked back :)

From Leeds to NZ - I think you win...(I'm writing this in sunny York)

A lovely pair there, the AA looks especially tidy. I'm doing something similar with a Cinder Cone at the moment; can I ask you, did you face any problems mounting the road cranks (e.g. chainstay clearance of the big ring)? What length BB spindle have you used?

I used the existing BB (shimano) with the new Campag Chorus crank. The previous crank was also Campag but MTB specific.
With both cranks there's a bigish gap (index finger fits easily) from the shell to the crank arm/spider.
Italian cranks (square) have a smaller taper than Shimano and therefore do not slide fully home on the BB shaft. Ie Italian to Shimano is not as good as IT to IT or Shim to Shim.

The upside of all of this is that the greater off set appears to work better with the MTB frame as the clearance of the crank arm to chainstay is neither excessive nor too close.

I'm cautious of pedal float and ofset, as my knees are loose and if out of line can give some pain. No real problem to report with this setup.

ninety said:
From Leeds to NZ - I think you win...(I'm writing this in sunny York)

A lovely pair there, the AA looks especially tidy. I'm doing something similar with a Cinder Cone at the moment; can I ask you, did you face any problems mounting the road cranks (e.g. chainstay clearance of the big ring)? What length BB spindle have you used?

I had a pair of Scott Cro-mo straight taper forks on my Canondale (Sold a few years back) and they were an alternative to P2s. Very direct but the taper too away some trail buzz. These bike are my first with Suspension!

coomber said:
Love them both.

It would be nice to see some Z2s or some project 2s on the Explosif. Which is such a cool colour by the way, one of my favourite kona colours.

sorry to hijack CHLYBN thread :oops:

its a Judy XC in champagne which was OE in 1996 - see also my Explosif ;)

glad to see that Konas are also loved in NZ :D

Nice rides... But I'm slightly partial for the explosif, with the tiny cromo tubes and the green color... And I think it's better fitted with an flat bar instead with the riser one...

Interesting you say, because I swapped the original flat bars from the explosif to the AA!

I would love to get a syncros stem on one of them and bring back memories of my cannondale from the 90's

bruno_h2 said:
Nice rides... But I'm slightly partial for the explosif, with the tiny cromo tubes and the green color... And I think it's better fitted with an flat bar instead with the riser one...

Latest posts

Back