1989/90 Saracen Tufftrax - Finished!

kaytronika

Retrobike Rider
I've been saving for a new main ride lately so buying another retro bike wasn't on the cards... But a chance conversation with a colleague at work brought up mention of the old bike she had lying unused in the garage. When she mentioned Saracen I immediately thought of the monster Saracen thread in MTB chat.. When she mentioned she was giving it away, I struggled to resist. After some consideration, I cleared it with the wife and the bike is now in my shed :D

My colleague at work bought the bike new for around £350 from Leisure Lakes, it was well used, but remains original except for the saddle and possibly brake blocks... The years have been pretty kind to this bike and despite a bit of surface rust most of the components seem to be in good functioning condition. When I say most of the components... I mean this bike is so original for it's age, full drivetrain, brakes, rims, reflectors....

There are ripples under the paintwork all over the frame, I was a bit worried that these may be rust, but there are so many, I'm wondering if it's not just how it was finished? I'll take a bit more time to investigate at some point.

I've given the bike a quick clean up with a damp rag but I will give it a full service in time.

Now a few pics... Enjoy! I did! Apologies for the quantity ;)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 10,160
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10,156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 10,160
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 10,163
More pics for the Saracen fans among us...

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 10,154
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 10,151
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 10,153
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 10,154
and four more pics for those who haven't OD'd yet :D

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 10,149
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 10,149
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 10,150
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 10,148
Ah man, I am green with envy.

Such a nice bike and in such good nick, bit of love and it'll come up a treat.

:cool:

I can't get over how good it looks (seat excluded) in the first picture. I was expecting a 22" gate frame, but it sits well and looks pretty modern 20 years after it was built.

I'll take my time with this, try to source less rusty skewers and a neater saddle. It'll get a full strip down and service too.

Half tempted to get it ready for the Manchester - Blackpool next year.

kaytronika":240b4yuo said:
I can't get over how good it looks (seat excluded) in the first picture. I was expecting a 22" gate frame, but it sits well and looks pretty modern 20 years after it was built.

I'll take my time with this, try to source less rusty skewers and a neater saddle. It'll get a full strip down and service too.

Half tempted to get it ready for the Manchester - Blackpool next year.

Yep, was expecting a gate and this looks super modern, nice slopint top tube. First thing I noticed as well.

I'd not change much, think that seat may be original saracen, if so if its like on my 1991 trekker it will be super comfortable. I like it anyway!

To me you just need to get some new skewers and give it a good clean and degrease, should make it look pristine for about £25!

My mate John had one of those for his son BiTD. The paint is more than likely the famous Saracen powdercoat specified to resist a tactical nuclear strike.

kirbdug":1w6gg17q said:
looks just like mine

kirbdug :D

Is that the original saddle? Your's looks excellent.

I'd probably have to pick a slightly less plush saddle for mine.

There definately won't be many changes for this... It doesn't need any... New cables (inners anyway) all round as a treat, skewers, saddle.

Not sure if the tyres are original, but they certainly look aged... Cheng-Shin Outrak I think

Iwasgoodonce: :LOL: Yeah the paint looks like it was applied with a spatula

Back