94 KHS Montana Pro

colinc

Retro Newbie
This is an old ride of mine that's been hanging out in storage for the past few years, ran into this site and it got me thinking I should get it back on the road. Most parts on it are what I raced it with in 95 and 96, originally it had a manitou 3 on the front but it cracked in 2 months in a crash. The xt rapidfires failed this spring as I was trying to get it ridable, thus for the moment have the sram attacks and tiagra brakes(would like to find something from the period though). I threw some schwalbe city jets on it to boot around town. Still have the original speedplay pedals but switched to crank bros. about a year ago as cleats are hard to find in Finland for speedplays. Somebody stole the rear ringle skewer a few years back so would like to find a replacement for it also. The saddle has quite a few nicks, and the frame is looking a bit rough in areas, but it's still fun to ride.

Attachments

• khs1.jpg
    khs1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,152
  • khs2.jpg
    khs2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,151
  • khs3.jpg
    khs3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,151
  • khs4.jpg
    khs4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,151
I still have the panaracer dart front tire that came with the bike, never rode it. Switched to continentals a few days after it was bought.

I picked up a nearly identical bike today for $35. The front shock is a Marzocchi Z4 Bomber and the brakes have been changed to inexpensive V brakes. Otherwise, it's basically the same. I have too many rides already, but I couldn't resist a True Temper OX 2 frame(plus parts) for the price.

I will probably replace the rims since they are basically finished. That's the downside of vintage mountain bicycles. The rims are always always useless, resulting in an expensive investment to make them useable. Why disc brakes weren't in common use in the early 1990s is a mystery to me.

Latest posts

Back