1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Woody

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
1991 ROCKY MOUNTAIN BLIZZARD

I've always fancied a Rocky Mountain because i think the frames just look right to me and they look very tasty with abit of Syncros kit. After realising a Ti bolt or Thunderbolt are very hard to track down I decided to find a Blizzard. These are still pretty hard to come by , but with a bit of time and effort i managed to track this one down. Its a 1991 Blizzard with Syncros powerlite fork.

The frame has been touched up in lots of places and usually this wouldn't bother me but as this is my last build for a while (my wallet needs a rest after this one....probably said that after the last build) I've decided to get it resprayed. I'm going to try to keep to the original spec of XT. I've been checking the spec in the scans section and I should be able to get it pretty close. Some new decals are on order from Gil. I've got alot of parts on the way already and I've just got a few more to source.

...anyway here are a few pic's before it went to be resprayed.Hope you like it ;)

RM1.jpg

RM2.jpg

RM3.jpg

RM5.jpg

RM6.jpg

Rocky Mountain 1991 Brochure
RM7.jpg

more to follow soon

Another lovely bike to clutter up your hallway eh Woody?

I'm sure you'll get this one to turn out nicely.

I think you had better start clearing a space for my bikes in your loft drystonekid ! Hallways full ! ;)

Looking forward to getting this built up and on the trails mate.

Very nice.. I've not seen one of these before with the seatube colour running through.. :) :cool: hope your keeping it the same colour.. ;) will be a very nice machine if your previous builds are anything to go by.. :)

I'll watch this one with interest.. :)

Cheers Si ,had thought of doing some different with the colour of the frame , fork and stem but decided against it so I'll be sticking to the original colour scheme !

Should look sweet hopefully ;)

Excellent choice. Respray, new stickers and period correct parts will make this a (wet?) dreambike. Love it. Thanks for posting :D

That's a fine bike.

I've got one of these waiting to be done and am curious how you're going to do the paint.

I think these were powder coated but I'm uncertain whether your average powder coater can do the colour break on the seat tube.

Stove enamelling would work but be a bit fragile; I'm thinking get it powdered white then get the black done in 2 pack, but haven't found anyone who does that sort of thing yet.

What are your plans?

This is a first for me having a frame resprayed. I contacted Dave Yates first but they wanted around £150 which was abit much for me even though they probably do a great job. I've taken the frame to a local powdercoaters , and the guy said it shouldn't be a problem. He didn't go into detail about his method. They said they do alot of bike frames which gave me abit of confidence in him. We'll just have to see now , fingers crossed they'll do a good job ;)

First....... sweet bike and one of my favourites.

As for the powdercoating, it wasn't powdered back in 1991, it was wet painted using Imron Paint at the RM factory. If you look close up you'll notice all kinds of little colour flecks in the paint; you can't do that with powder. I've tried to have powder coaters do two different colours on one frame but I'm told it is almost imposible due to re-heating for a second colour OR if you try to do two colours at once and bake them at the same time then they just bleed together at "the seam". You can, however, paint over powder but not the other way around

Personally for this one, I'd keep it the original black and white combo if you want to respray. That particular bike is one of my favourite colour arrangements by Rocky with the black seat tube complimenting the angle of the black fork. It is a very balanced looking bike, colour wise and overall, and the stickers are just too much to handle once they are put on too. I would LOVE one of these for my collection.

Can't wait to see how this turns out no matter what you do with it. (Gil also has replacement Syncros decals for those forks too if you need them. I got some from his and they are an exact match to the originals)

Ok, now I'm itching to get back to my Rocky builds.

Update :

Quite a few parts have been arriving this week. Wheels , tyres and chainset will hopefully be here next week.

S1.jpg
F1-1.jpg

Syncros bars / XT 735 front mech
B1.jpg
C1.jpg

Shimano UN54 BB / Cables (from Sithlord) & crimps
BR1.jpg
CH1.jpg

Shimano Canti's polished ,nice and shiney now/ Shimano HG-70 chain
D1.jpg
O1.jpg

DMR mech verter (need the black disc from this for the front mech) / NOS ODI attack grips
H1.jpg
S2.jpg

NOS Deore DX 1 1/8 headset / Syncros powerlite forks cleaned up

R1.jpg

New decals made by the main man Gil

Back