1993 Kona lava dome

Bram J

Retro Guru
Hi,

This kit has arrived the last few weeks. :D
It's a 1993 lavadome I bought off here from 8lezard. The frame, bars p2's and velocity stem were resprayed at bob jackson. He also included an lx headset and a sharkfin for free. :D
I'm planning on building it up as a 1x9, 1x8 or maybe 2x9 setup, for cruising around on hot dry summerdays which we have plenty of over here. :LOL:
The frame, fork and stem were kind of rusty on the inside, so the first thing I did was WD40'ing the hell out of these to thrive out any moisture. Then I stored them in my room next to the heater. The next thing I will do is apply framesaver, but first I'll let the WD40 evaporate.

So here you have the start of a new project, it will probably take ages to get it finished. Afterall I am a student so I don't have much money lying around. The build will not be period correct, sorry for that. :LOL:

I was thinking about the following spec:
-silver tune cranks with black chainring
-paul cantilevers in black flavour (neo retro front, touring rear)
-a slim saddle (white or black)
-oury grips (white or black)
-tires, modern ones (white or black with amberwall)
-wheels: some xt hubs on rigida rims I have lying around (these are indestructable)
-rear derr, X0 or an old xt, don't really know yet
-silver use seatpost I already sourced
-paul chainkeeper
-paul thumbshifter(s)

Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed, so please, go ahead! :D

And now how about a picture?! :LOL:
konalavadome1993005.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Bram

Very nice, but who's the guy opposite you with the same frame & bits? Damned copycats! ;)

Looks like this will be a great looking bike. I like the tune cranks and they should suit the bike well. They look kinda retro, similar to Cooks.....

WMB80.gear.tunecranks-399-75.jpg

i like it apart from that diy saddle on the seat post :LOL:

will be watching this one develop

kirbdug :D

Couldn't resist putting it together a little bit, haven't applied framesaver yet. :D
The tune cranks need some more polishing, they once were red. The previous owner had polished most of the finish off. They only costed me 70 euros, so I don't mind not having the logo on it for that price.
Some more pics:
konalavadome008.jpg

konalavadome009.jpg

konalavadome003.jpg

I think it looks lovely already. :)

mikesnowdon":ra7tynx9 said:
I think so too :cool:

I would suggest black chain rings to go with the rims.

Yeah I was planning on that :) . It would balance out nicely with the black headset and seatbinder too I was thinking. Thanks for you aproval ;) :)

Looking like its going to be one sweet build,, although I'd suggest putting the drive side crank arm the right side or you may have problems with chain line :p ;) :LOL:

Yeah I noticed that I had put it on the wrong side when I posted the pics up here. :LOL: But hey, at least it gives an idea of how it's going to look!
Thanks for the nice comments,
Bram

Does anyone know an easy way to get paul parts?
You can only pay with credit cards when you want to order directly from their site. :?
It would be easier for me if they accepted banktransfer. :?
Thanks,
Bram

Latest posts

Back