1990 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

bagpipes

Old School Hero
So some poking around on the net last week has bumped me out of my rut and back to my treasure room and the bikes that have been sitting in "project state" for over a year now.

I am finally getting to this Cirrus project that I was intending to begin last fall. So far I polished the bike up and back to its original shine but not "mirror" shine. I think the previous owner must have used some acid based wheel cleaner to try and clean it because it was etched with water and spray marks all over the place. Nothing some elbow grease didn't fix though.

I didn't need to source too much for this as it was all pretty much original other than the fork, seat and cranks. The bike was originally stock with the coveted Syncros Powerlites but this one was "upgraded" :cry: back in the day with a judy XC. The previous owner also swapped the XT cranks for some Race Face Turbines and put a rather harsh seat on it. After a little looking around, I picked up a proper fork and I have a few old XT cranks in my bin of "lucky charms"

The frame is in perfect shape with no dents, dings or the ever so common crack in the seat tube at the binder bolt. It's straight and as any Cirrus / Experience owner knows ......... it's heavy.

Anyhow, here a few pics for now along with some syncros bling but not too much. This thing will be back to original spec other than the seat and pedals. I don't really know what I want to put in those areas, not sure what sort of riding I plan to do with this yet. I have a complete set of XT components from 1990 as verified by model numbers from the web page http://datenbanken.freepage.de/cgi-bin/ ... NO.html#90 (I threw in the web page incase anyone wants to keep a copy; it's handy to have for reference)

Attachments

• Picture 1277.jpg
    Picture 1277.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,366
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,366
  • IMG_08111.jpg
    IMG_08111.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,366
And the after

Attachments

• Picture 254.jpg
    Picture 254.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,358
  • Picture 255.jpg
    Picture 255.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,358
And the bling

Attachments

• Picture 265.jpg
    Picture 265.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,357
  • Picture 264.jpg
    Picture 264.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,354
  • Picture 258.jpg
    Picture 258.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,357
  • Picture 257.jpg
    Picture 257.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,357
Reckon this will look :cool: . I love E-stay frames (check out my smokestone!) and this is a beauty. Were you not tempted by some Syncros cranks too?

This is shaping up to be some build. Really liking what you've done so far. For decals give "gil_m" a nod on the forum, he did the ones for my RM Experience.

I got decals from Gil ages ago. Like I said, this has been on the back burner for a while now but I have an itch again to build something. I can't believe that I've had this frame and all the parts to build it and just left it alone for so long. I wonder how many other bikes are out there all set to be built but the owners just can't be bothered for one reason or another.

Oh I forgot that I aslo have the 1990 model XT hubs / wheelset for this too.

you're almost as bad as neillll with his Cirrus. :roll:

and heavy? what are you talking about? mine weighs in at a decent weight of about 24-25lbs built without much effort. but then again, mines a "small". ;)

The Rocky mountain's from this era are all gorgeous. I remember drooling over these in the magazines. This will look stunning when complete. That frame has come up a treat , good work :cool:

Good job! Excellent color scheme with the parts on display. Finish that project and show us the result (please) :D

Back