Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:48 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

This was my first proper bike back in 1995 and having ridden it for many years and loaning it to someone for the last couple of years (Wife bought me a new bike as an engagement present) I have it back and am in the process of converting it to single speed.

It's the typical Volkswagen custom Gold they originally were back then and has very few of it's original parts as I upgraded back in the day (it has the very first issue of the xt v-brakes and the RST mozo pros both classic in there own right?)

However having stumble across this site whilst looking for some project 2's to go on the front I've spotted the wonders of getting the frame powder coated and I have to say I will be joining the masses with a white single speed Kona as I think they look spot on. :oops:

So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a powder coater in derby area or can guide me to shots of a bike that has been done at Derwent Enamelers?

Any help or pointers on this would be massively appreciated.

As the build progresses I'll post some photo's if anyone is interested how it progresses?

Last edited by Terry_hill on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 pm 
Dirt Disciple

77 views and no one has any suggestions on a powder coater?

anyone got a set of project 2's they want to sell?

Post subject: Powder coaters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I've used lots 90 percent are garbage, applying too much in a single coat and are useless. I use a local firm who use fine glass powder to strip the frame and polish it, then a self etching coat, then a white undercoat then multiple thin coats of powder, finish is as good as on a modern car ,but cost is above average and can take 3 to 6 weeks? Can arrange for you if you like?
But have to say, not a fan of white Kona's!!!!! Chosse something more suited to the era, bright tutti frutti, Yellow, Candy Pink, Soft Green etc, White is just well boring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:44 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Don't remember any of those colours in the range when I got mine. they were all fairly muted I think the fire mountain was burgundy and as you can see mine is the shocking metallic brown they called Volkswagen custom gold!

Attachments:
P102047424.jpg
P102047424.jpg [ 123.26 KiB | Viewed 1531 times ]
P102047312.jpg
P102047312.jpg [ 117.45 KiB | Viewed 1531 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Trying to add my finished bike pics to this but don't seem to be able to link through to them using the tags linking into flickr.

Any ides why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Make sure you're copying the right text between the [img]and[/img] tags? Should start http/ and end .jpg

Did you go for white in the end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Yes I went with white which is likely to get me flamed for creating another white Kona but hey what the heck I like it.

After hunting down a set of Project 2's and getting some colour coordinated parts, new stickers from here and a machined head tube badge from Gil I have a new single speed work stead that I'm really happy with. Nothing like it's old form but a new lease of life that will hopefully see it being used for the next 16 years!

Looks like flickr have changed their code for image posting so you have to dig bits out of it now to get the image to post but it seems to have worked now!