Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you have resurrected them to their former glory?
yes 90%  90%  [ 35 ]
no 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Another great steel bike you have there! I have often wondered about those suntour brakes, they often turn up quite cheaply and NOS. And I love the look of the forks, even if they have their issues!

One thing though, whats with the seat post? Dare I say it, it looks. . . . . . .modern! (Runs to wash his mouth out :lol:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:37 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

the_duke wrote:
Another great steel bike you have there! I have often wondered about those suntour brakes, they often turn up quite cheaply and NOS. And I love the look of the forks, even if they have their issues!

One thing though, whats with the seat post? Dare I say it, it looks. . . . . . .modern! (Runs to wash his mouth out :lol:)

I can highly recommend the brakes, the extra braking force created is superb, a little heavier in its modulation, but a very powerful brake with little cable fade.

Suntour never made it for the front i was told, they considered it too powerfull for sum fork applications on production bikes..? but the original Scott penderson brakes were front and rear, it was also eventually licensed to Tektro too which also made this for the front. :?

the Syncros seatpost....well theres a story...lol. I always lusted after this upgrade bitd, and i never did get it. Syncros always looked right on Canadian bikes to me, Given the whole TBG history, Syncros was the brand of seatpost, i would like to have had.

I bought two of these in the right size for a £10 each, and although no where near the quality of the seatpost from bitd, i felt it looked right in black, and the brand got chosen out of luck due to it only being a tenner and me wanting to keep the total cost to rebuild the bikes down and not exceed £200.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

the_duke wrote:
Another great steel bike you have there! And I love the look of the forks, even if they have their issues!

Thanks mate ive had it for a long time. The Track Two fork i have got to be honest i think is my favorite straight legged fork ive used. It combines the the precise direct handling of the "Tange Switchblade", but with the shock absorbing qualities of the say the "Pace RC30". which also doesnt twang at high speed decents like the "Tange Switchblade" imho.

I put it down to the tapered fork legs themselves, i think this design solved both questions. I believe they used Ishiwata cromoly for these fork legs.. :?

Once they seemed to have got through the early prodction run of this fork, i never had the problem again, these have been perfect ever since, obviously i had to strip them and re-finish them, and then re-assemble.
Ive used this bike a lot this year, and they have remained perfectly tight and as the gods intended, thankfully, but i did have my concerns.... :oops:

The Fork i would love to try is a "Brodie Gatorblade"... 8) But then i would love to own a "1989 Brodie Catalyst" too, but i cant see that happening any time soon... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 pm 
Retro Guru

i did not know you had problems like that when i road it :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:10 pm 
BMX Grandpa

nice fork, I love it. comes into my merlin, cause the logic isnt straight, left leg goes back :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:21 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

kona man wrote:
i did not know you had problems like that when i road it :roll:

I did have my doubts when you asked, but i had hoped they would stay good, like this pair always had. thankfully it all worked out, in the end... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:22 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

bmx4130crmo wrote:
nice fork, I love it. comes into my merlin, cause the logic isnt straight, left leg goes back :(

Are you able to get them sorted and useable again..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:08 pm 
BMX Grandpa

Sorry what do you mean? My english isnt so good... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:48 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Ah sorry perhaps i misunderstood, you said the logic isnt straight, the left leg goes back? i presumed you were having problems with yours too..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:44 am 
BMX Grandpa

No, I have problems with my ritchey logic. The kona is wonderful.

Michael

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next